Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 mo post dc.

tag
Logan22
Established Member

2 mo post dc.

So I'm 2mo post chapter 7 discharge. 
I got that crappy credit one for 300cl. To help rebuild. 
I got a kohls card 300cl (always with the killer deals for little man's school clothes) 

I'm wondering what the best move is here, save up and drop 2-3k on a cap one secured card or....   I'd prefer to skip the secured route, dump credit one and never look back, (hate that card) 

I burned a lot of players in my bk7. 
cap one, synchrony, pfcu,nfcu, Amex. 

I spent a lot of time feeling like crap about it especially considering nfcu and pfcu were really good to me, but I've come to terms that sometimes in life, things happen! And sometimes we just get humbled in that process. 
anyhow, I'm wanting to rebuild and do what I know I can do. 
I'm guessing that pfcu and nfcu will never be in my favor again. So, any suggestions on what to do, where to apply and when, would be greatly appreciated. 

goal is mortgage and truck loan within 16mo. 

thanks all! 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Logan22
Established Member

Re: 2 mo post dc.

577eq

522tu

547ex

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The good news is you are now free from all that crushing debt. My advice is to keep your new Credit One Bank credit card for at least one year. You've already paid the annual fee, so you might as well use this card to your advantage. Rebuilding good credit can come from Credit One Bank just as well as from American Express. Credit scores don't care who's in your wallet, so try not to let it get you down. One year of good credit from Credit One Bank will open up so many more doors for you when you get there. Consider taking out a small secured loan too. It will do wonders for your credit. Andrews FCU is open to anyone. And Andrews does not pull credit for secured loans. One year from now, you'll be in great shape.

Message 3 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Rebuilding is a marathon... not a sprint.

Good luck!

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 17
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Logan22 wrote:

So I'm 2mo post chapter 7 discharge. 
I got that crappy credit one for 300cl. To help rebuild. 
I got a kohls card 300cl (always with the killer deals for little man's school clothes) 

I'm wondering what the best move is here, save up and drop 2-3k on a cap one secured card or....   I'd prefer to skip the secured route, dump credit one and never look back, (hate that card) 

I burned a lot of players in my bk7. 
cap one, synchrony, pfcu,nfcu, Amex. 

I spent a lot of time feeling like crap about it especially considering nfcu and pfcu were really good to me, but I've come to terms that sometimes in life, things happen! And sometimes we just get humbled in that process. 
anyhow, I'm wanting to rebuild and do what I know I can do. 
I'm guessing that pfcu and nfcu will never be in my favor again. So, any suggestions on what to do, where to apply and when, would be greatly appreciated. 

goal is mortgage and truck loan within 16mo. 

thanks all! 

You might want to strengthen your credit mix with a small installment loan, SELF or STRONG have loans as cheap as 15 - 25 bucks a month. i have one with self maturing in oct 500, 25 per month for 2 years. it bumped my score to have a better mix with self and strong.

about 9 months post bk7 i was able to get some cards with low sl's, kohls 300, now 2500, target 300, now 1000, firestone 1000, now 2800.

Cap 1 should let you back in eventually, i got back in at 1 1/2 years post bk7 dc and i burned cap 1 for 5k.

my kohls is 2500, my quicksilver is 2k, and my savor 1 is 3100. the QS started out in may/2021 as a 300 platinum

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with @SUPERSQUID . A small installment loan is very valuable. I have a small share secured loan at Andrews FCU and my scores went up instantly when I got the loan. Mine is $39 per month for 84 months. It's a secured loan, so I'm not really paying $39 per month. It auto pays from my savings account. And once the payment is made, it just drops the $39 back into my savings account. Then next month it does it all over again. So all I'm really paying is a tiny amount in interest. I think it's about 3%. If this interests you, Andrews FCU is open to everyone.

Message 6 of 17
Logan22
Established Member

Which loan is the Andrew's you're talking about? I don't see anything on the site about credit builder loan. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Logan22  It is called share secured loan. Using your phone, go to the Andrews FCU website. Click the pull down menu in the upper right corner. Click borrow. Click consumer loans. Click personal loans and lines. Then scroll down to share secured loan.

Message 8 of 17
Logan22
Established Member

Thank you! 

Message 9 of 17
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Wait 6months/year... and see if you qualify for Cap1 unsecured.

Give your file a chance to repair a bit. That would be my advice.

They took me back (unsecured), they are forgiving, in time.
Congrats on the rebuild!!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.