Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 1/2 Months Post CH7 Scores not moving much :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 1/2 Months Post CH7 Scores not moving much :(

I've been following and reading a lot of info on this forum since before I filed. This site has given me a world of info I wish I knew before!! So thank you !!

My question and concern is my ch. 7 was discharged the beginning of Sept '18 and my scores are still quite low...

T 589, EX 598, EQ 615

I've seen where a lot of people after discharge have 650ish scores. I got approved for 2 capital 1 cards (500 and 1k) and a credit one (700) but nothing else. I burned most major banks so Discover, Citi, etc are not options for me. I might do a secured card with a credit union if that will help but is there anything I can do to bump these scores up or just sit and wait? I only carry a balance on 1 of my cards each month at a low util (under 20%). Am I just being impatient? Or are my scores below average for the time frame?

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Re: 4 1/2 Months Post CH7 Scores not moving much :(

You already have 3 credit cards so what you need to boost your scores is a loan ( of any type) and you need a store card, the most easy one you can get is kohls and target. After that you need time.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I have old student loans from years ago that have been paid. I was considering getting a self-lender but read that if you already have a loan, even if old and closed, that it wouldn't make a difference. 

I'll try a store card for sure. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 8
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

As long as you have a student loan reporting to all credit bureaus you don't need another one for that reason. You definitely need a store card for the mix. Make sure all credit reports are accurate.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much jazmar!

Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You have enough cards already. You dont need anymore right now. 3 revovlers and a open installment like self lender will help your scoes. No more apps for at least 6-8 months. No store/reatail cards for now. Store cards affect your insurance score FICOwise. MC/Visa/AMEX store cards are like a regular CC. Time is what you need. More cards dont make for a higher score. Let the inq's and HP's age. Its not a race as they say.  The siggy below is to show what can be done in 3.3yrs after BK. Not to brag at all.

Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been following and reading a lot of info on this forum since before I filed. This site has given me a world of info I wish I knew before!! So thank you !!

My question and concern is my ch. 7 was discharged the beginning of Sept '18 and my scores are still quite low...

T 589, EX 598, EQ 615

I've seen where a lot of people after discharge have 650ish scores. I got approved for 2 capital 1 cards (500 and 1k) and a credit one (700) but nothing else. How did you get 2 Cap1 cards so close together? I burned most major banks so Discover, Citi, etc are not options for me. I might do a secured card with a credit union if that will help but is there anything I can do to bump these scores up or just sit and wait? Wait I only carry a balance on 1 of my cards each month at a low util (under 20%). Change it 1% of one card or less than 8.99% reported. Am I just being impatient? Yep Or are my scores below average for the time frame?

Thanks for any advice!

They are a tad low. Do you have some lates still reporting? That might be the culprit

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my old student loans is closed but still reporting late payment so maybe that's it. Thanks for the advice, it helps!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.