Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

41 Months post-CH7 filing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

41 Months post-CH7 filing

I have been lurking these forums for over a decade, but have never contributed. I feel I owe my experience post-bk. I apologize for the essay. Months will be accurate with ~1 month.

In 7/2017 I filed CH7, 7 months after an emergency bilateral hernia operation, then another emergency correction when one side failed. I was foolish and had no one knowledgable (not medicated?) to stop me. Medical debt landed on credit cards and when I filed this is about what ended up being record:

$17,000/20,000 with Baxter Credit Union

$10,000/15,000 Sapphire Preferred

$5,000 / 10,000 United Explorer

$300 / 3,000 on a Best Buy

$900/ 5,000 on Amex Blue (Sore subject, my attorney basically had to fight me from at least paying this one, and I will likely pay it before the 5 year mark, to hopefull be removed from their blacklist.)

I had a $19,000 balance on an Auto loan with Baxter Credit Union. I reaffirmed this debt, but the car ended up being lemon-lawed anyway.

The day I filed I was 30 and had never missed a payment on anything, ever. My scores were between 720-770. I thought it would be alright, because my now-husband was in medical school and that it would be rough, but we would fight through it. Then my now-husband fell critically ill (he left medical school after his 3rd year) and before my phone began to ring, I sought out an attorney when I knew I wouldn't be able to make the next month's payments. I felt awful, I made committments to companies and I still carry some guilt. 

1 month post DC (~November 2017) I applied for and was approved for:

$750 Credit One predatory card 

$2,000 Capital One Quicksilver One

$2,000 Capital One Platinum (The first page did not load, so I tried this card and ended up with both)

For 2 years, I rode these cards out, paying them off every month. Had a setback, when hired by the Department of Commerce in 2018, and was furloughed. I was always taught to work hard and do the best you can manage. So I worked at an Amazon warehouse for 3 months to make ends meet. 

24ish months post-filing My husband applied for and got a Chase Sapphire card and added me as an AU.

28 months post-filing, I joined NFCU (Brother was living with me as he adjusted to his PTSD).

30 months post-filing, I applied for the NFCU Secured nRewards card and put $500 toward it.

36 months post-filing, NFCU converted my card to a Cash Reward card and gave me a $2,000 limit. 

I have been largely "Gardening" (See, I have been reading this forum for a while.. haha ) with no rejections. We live in a 750 sq ft apartment and drive two used Hondas, as we rebuild. 

Finally, I decided to apply for a Platinum card with NFCU. First, I called them to see if it would be better to apply for an increase on the existing card, or to add a new one. They were nice, but obviously could not give me advice. Here is a Data point for December 2020, they said they would pull TU Fico 9 for CC (Mine is ~705). So I went back to the app to apply for a new card, as there was no way I could handle the actual sound of rejection over the phone. I went back and forth between the co-branded more rewards Amex, Flagship and Platinum. We have the CSP we use for everything, so the Flagship was not incredibly neccessary, and I am afraid of denial from anything with "Amex" on it. So Platinum it was. I hit submit and actually closed my eyes to medidate. I opened my eyes and saw green at the top of my phone's screen. I sighed with relief as I assumed this was good news. It was very good news. My hard work had paid off. I was approved for:

41 months post-filing:

$25,000 NFCU Platiunum at 5.99%

My husband and I are both healthy and have good careers now. A pile of student loan debt, and I plan on returning with questions about that... But I wanted to make my contribution, as I have silently learned from so many of you for over a decade. 

Thank you

Edit: I just called and cancelled my Credit One card. They tried to offer me a $5,000 credit line, elimination of the annual fee and a reduction of interest from 23.99% to 12.99%. The card is closed. I am going to call Capital One about my Quicksilver One card.

Edit 2: Capital One made no attempts to keep me. I still have my 1 Platinum card with them, and will maintain it for the sake of the relationship with the institution.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 41 Months post-CH7 filing

Great read, and thank you for sharing!  Awesome job on your rebuild and congradulations on your most recent approval!

Wish you and your husband the best and look forward to hearing as your journey continues!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. 

I'll be back in the future to discuss the mountain of medical school debt my husband has as we navigate purchasing a holiday/weekend/future full time home in the next few years.

Message 3 of 8
angelofmusic86
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1 month post DC (~November 2017) I applied for and was approved for:

$750 Credit One predatory card 

$2,000 Capital One Quicksilver One

$2,000 Capital One Platinum (The first page did not load, so I tried this card and ended up with both)

For 2 years, I rode these cards out, paying them off every month. Had a setback, when hired by the Department of Commerce in 2018, and was furloughed. I was always taught to work hard and do the best you can manage. So I worked at an Amazon warehouse for 3 months to make ends meet. 

24ish months post-filing My husband applied for and got a Chase Sapphire card and added me as an AU.

28 months post-filing, I joined NFCU (Brother was living with me as he adjusted to his PTSD).

30 months post-filing, I applied for the NFCU Secured nRewards card and put $500 toward it.

36 months post-filing, NFCU converted my card to a Cash Reward card and gave me a $2,000 limit. 

I have been largely "Gardening" (See, I have been reading this forum for a while.. haha ) with no rejections. We live in a 750 sq ft apartment and drive two used Hondas, as we rebuild. 

Finally, I decided to apply for a Platinum card with NFCU. First, I called them to see if it would be better to apply for an increase on the existing card, or to add a new one. They were nice, but obviously could not give me advice. Here is a Data point for December 2020, they said they would pull TU Fico 9 for CC (Mine is ~705). So I went back to the app to apply for a new card, as there was no way I could handle the actual sound of rejection over the phone. I went back and forth between the co-branded more rewards Amex, Flagship and Platinum. We have the CSP we use for everything, so the Flagship was not incredibly neccessary, and I am afraid of denial from anything with "Amex" on it. So Platinum it was. I hit submit and actually closed my eyes to medidate. I opened my eyes and saw green at the top of my phone's screen. I sighed with relief as I assumed this was good news. It was very good news. My hard work had paid off. I was approved for:

41 months post-filing:

$25,000 NFCU Platiunum at 5.99%

My husband and I are both healthy and have good careers now. A pile of student loan debt, and I plan on returning with questions about that... But I wanted to make my contribution, as I have silently learned from so many of you for over a decade. 

Thank you

Edit: I just called and cancelled my Credit One card. They tried to offer me a $5,000 credit line, elimination of the annual fee and a reduction of interest from 23.99% to 12.99%. The card is closed. I am going to call Capital One about my Quicksilver One card.

Edit 2: Capital One made no attempts to keep me. I still have my 1 Platinum card with them, and will maintain it for the sake of the relationship with the institution.

Congrats on the amazing rebuild!

CH7 Filed 05.01.2020; Discharged 10.21.2020

10.22.2020 FICO8 Scores: EQ 615 TU 560 EX 581
06.28.2023 FICO8 Scores: EQ 663 TU 663 EX 661

Rebuild progress: Kohl's $3,000; CapitalOne QS $0AF $3,600; CreditOne Rewards $700; CapitalOne Walmart MC $3,000; Overdraft Line $250; PenFed PCR $10,000; Kemba Visa $3,500; CreditOne $0AF AMEX $1,500; Target RedCard $1,200; paid off reaffirmed car loan!; Wells Fargo Active Cash $1,500; Comenity Ultamate Rewards MC $4,250; CapitalOne Savor One $3,000; Amazon Store Card $3,600; CareCredit $7,400; Synchrony TJ Maxx Mastercard $3,500; Well's Fargo Reflect Visa $3,500; Levin Furniture $7,400
Gardening until December 2023.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You've had a very disciplined rebuild. Congrats to you!

Message 5 of 8
CookieMonster1
Contributor

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your rebuild! Your story will certainly help others. Best wishes to you!

Bk 7 Filed 10/2019/Discharged 01/2020 Rebuild well underway! Grateful to this Community for sharing knowledge and support.
Message 6 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

RainbowRobb,

Congratulations on your approval with Navy Federal. That's awesome and the lowest APR on that card. You have done an excellent job with your rebuild. Keep on doing what you're doing. 

BTW, Navy Federal's Amex is not underwritten by American Express. NFCU underwrites and services their Amex. It only uses the Amex system. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this information. I was curious about that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.