Did you mean: 

5 months post BK7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 months post BK7

Hello!

I am 5 months post BK7.

I have a $500 secured NFCU card, and a $750 Capital One MC. Both report to the agencies.

I also have a CarMax auto loan that I don’t see on my credit report. I did not reaffirm the loan, but I have continued to pay on it.

I signed up for myFICO yesterday and my FICO 8 score is: EQ 604 EX 576 TU 568

I am using both credit cards and PIF the NFCU and leaving $10 on the Capital One every month. I started this last month.

My 2 year goal is to buy a house. That’s what I’m working towards. I would like my scores as high as possible, obviously. Do I leave everything as it is? Do I get 1 more card? Any advice is appreciated.

Discover, Amex, Chase, USAA, Citi IIB

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: 5 months post BK7

If you did not reaffirm the auto loan it will not report.

Message 2 of 9
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

You will need one more card and an installment loan. I believe NFCU has a self builder loan or try Self Lender. For cards to help rebuild, you can get Opensky secured card. No HP and up to $3k deposit. Credit One and Indigo but I would stay away from them with what you already have. Others may chime in with better cards and loans to try. After that. Pay in full using AZEO. Keep about 8% balance on one card reporting. After that, let time do its thing. Since you didn't re-affirm your car loan. It wont report anymore. Have your checked your reports to ensure that they are reporting everything included in your BK as IIB and $0? Might be some not updated info that could be hiding a few points.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd love some more card options if anyone can chime in on that. 

Should I just reaffirm the auto loan? That would count as an installment. My lawyer told me I shouldn't, in case I decided to include it in the bk. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I absolutely have to have a third card I think my only option would be one that was already mentioned. Probably the CreditOne with no AF. 

Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If your in with NFCU. They are the only ones who do the true SSL. If you have >3k in savings you take a loan from your savings for >3000. Once its open. Pay it down to 8% and let it ride out. You can get it up to 5 yrs. Theres your installment. If you didnt burn Disco. Their card graduates like NFCU's card. If you have the Cap1 Plat. You can upgrade it to the QS and get some cash back if its 3 months old here:

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade  

You can wait out until your Cap1 card passes 6 months. And then apply for the regular unsecured QS. You'll stay in the unsecured arena then. No rush. Its best to spread apps out anyways. That would be the best course. Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks FireMedic1! 

Message 7 of 9
UnicornQueen
Established Member

I'm 4 months post BK7 (DC 3/31). I have 3 accounts reporting: OpenSky, OLLO, and Self Lender. Do I need another CC? IIB were all the rebuilding cards you can think of (Merrick Bank, Capital One, Credit One, First Premier, and Discover) I have pre approved offers for Destiny, Milestone, and Indigo. Should I get 1 or 2 of those for now. I want to eventually close the OpenSky. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have enough accounts reporting.   Sit tight and let them work for you.  Look AZEO method, so basically have 1 card report a very small under 8.9% balance each month, and you're good to go.

Have fun rebuilding, dont stress, create a budget, and don't spend money you don't have.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.