cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 week out from discharge-- Is there Hope?

tag
ha05
Established Member

5 week out from discharge-- Is there Hope?

Hi, I'm new to fico and 5 week post DC and just purchased my EQ score today. I want nothing more then to take this fresh start and start over and rebuild great credit, however the whole experience of rebuilding is terrifying. My credit prior to bankruptcy was a absolutely mess. My current fico score is 576. What I can tell it looks as everything was included properly (will do a more intense look later this week)

Here's what say hurting my score the most

1. Serious delinquency, public record ..... 14 account 60 days  1. Public record and 1 collection

2. You have one or more accounts showing missed payment  15 accounts missed payment

2. Missed a payment recently 5 months ago

I have one revolving account showing current never late- it's at a 75% balance (It was a 100% in Nov, been working very hard it get it below 30%)

and several students loans that are current in deferment (I'm currently a student)

I just applied for a Credit one card and was approved for $300 ( I will not be carrying a balance on this card PIF every month)

Is there hope of ever reaching over 600 in the next year with all the negatives? ( most of the late pay would have never happen had I not stopping paying for credit card while was filing for bankruptcy attorney advised to pay nothing.)

Any advised would be helpful

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
camille11
New Contributor

Re: 5 week out from discharge-- Is there Hope?

I'll just say it looks like you have a LOT of work to do.  But, there is always hope.  I'm in a bad way myself, but I won't give up "hope."  Sometimes it is all we have.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 10
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

Welcome and congrats, there is hope search for bk to 700 on this forum. 

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 3 of 10
Zazu

I am 11 months post discharge and I can tell you there is hope. Your file looks no worse than mine . After talking to my lawyer, I started with two secured cards even before my discharge. 6 months after discharge I received a preapproval for a Merrick M/C with a $600 limit that since was doubled to $1200. 3 months later I received a preapproval for a Barclays Rewards M/C for $1500. Since than I have received  Amazon , Walmart, Target, and Kohls cards, and I just opened a Capitalone Quicksilver One card with a $1500 limit. All three of my FICO's are right at  620. I intend now to do nothing but gardening for the next 6 to 9 months and expect my scores to be over 650. If you have a good plan and stick to it you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck.

Message 4 of 10
ha05
Established Member

Great information, it does give me hope. Patience is in my favor since I kept my home in the BK and the only other purchase is a new car in about a year. I'm currently a nursing student and do not want to ever put my self in the same position I was in the last few years. 2014 is the year of building and better money management for myself and family.
Message 5 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@ha05 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to fico and 5 week post DC and just purchased my EQ score today. I want nothing more then to take this fresh start and start over and rebuild great credit, however the whole experience of rebuilding is terrifying. My credit prior to bankruptcy was a absolutely mess. My current fico score is 576. What I can tell it looks as everything was included properly (will do a more intense look later this week)

Here's what say hurting my score the most

1. Serious delinquency, public record ..... 14 account 60 days  1. Public record and 1 collection

2. You have one or more accounts showing missed payment  15 accounts missed payment

2. Missed a payment recently 5 months ago

I have one revolving account showing current never late- it's at a 75% balance (It was a 100% in Nov, been working very hard it get it below 30%)

and several students loans that are current in deferment (I'm currently a student)

I just applied for a Credit one card and was approved for $300 ( I will not be carrying a balance on this card PIF every month)

Is there hope of ever reaching over 600 in the next year with all the negatives? ( most of the late pay would have never happen had I not stopping paying for credit card while was filing for bankruptcy attorney advised to pay nothing.)

Any advised would be helpful

What is this? How did it survive the BK, or why wasn't it included? That is def a major factor bringing your score down. Is everything on your report reporting correctly? Should read $0 bal and IIBK.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Best response I can offer is that you spend some time reading the many posts on this forum that answer your very question ... many of them in excruiating detail. All the best with your rebuilding efforts and I encourage you to avail yourself of th emany great tips/recommendations that can be found in previously posted material here.

Message 7 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

Here is a GREAT place to start ha05

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 10
ha05
Established Member

The card with the balance is a care credit card. I'm a AU on the card with a family member. I want to have it paid off by the end of next month. I'm hoping that will boost my score some.

Message 9 of 10
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@ha05 wrote:

The card with the balance is a care credit card. I'm a AU on the card with a family member. I want to have it paid off by the end of next month. I'm hoping that will boost my score some.

Have the family member remove you as an AU on that CareCredit (this doesn't mean you can't still pay the bill) then follow the thread that Scupra posted...  You'll do just fine!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.