cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

700 in 24 months - is there a good Barclay's alternative?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

700 in 24 months - is there a good Barclay's alternative?

It looks like the original thread is locked now, or I would have just asked there. Now that Barclay's doesn't have a prequalify link, is there another alternative that would work? Additionally, I was never able to get Discover, so, doubt I'd be able to get them now and no military affiliation. 

Has anyone successfully cleared 700 in just 2 years lately?

(I know I'm looking a bit early, in a couple weeks when everything is reporting correctly I'll cancel myFico subscription and come back in 6 months or so. Just want to have an idea what I should do 6 months from now.  )

Just wanted to add, that I found the OIlo card to be a decent Barclay alternative. My limits were $700 and $200 on my other cards and Ollo started me at $1400. They provide an Experian FICO Bankcard Score 09 free credit score. Additionally, you have to be invited to apply- I found that an account at Credit Karma triggered getting the preapprovals in the mail. Overall, they seem like a decent replacement.  

Starting Score: EQ 595, TU 538, EX 577
Current Score: EQ 642, TU 604, EX 641
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Chapter 7 discharged 2/20/19
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Valued Contributor

Re: 700 in 24 months - is there a good Barclay's alternative?

Jenniferinfl83,

Welcome to the forum!

With regards to the Barclay Apple Visa, at the time Soulmaster wrote that plan, must people that didn't burn Barclay in their bankruptcies and had a year of positive payment history on their CL, were getting approved for that card. Everyone, including myself,  was reporting that they were getting approved with a minimum FICO score of 650. With the upcoming changes to the Apple-Barclay relationship, no one knows what will really happen with that card.

If you look around in the BK friendly credit card thread, I'm sure you can find one that will fit your needs.  Also I was not able to obtain a Discover card at the beginning of my rebuild or join Navy Federal either. I was lucky enough to find a local credit union that was just as good with product variety as Navy Federal. If you look around you, I'm sure you can find a find CU that will be bankruptcy friendly. Judging my the FL in your name, I assume you're in FL and I know there are some excellent local CU's there. When I was looking for a bankruptcy friendly credit union, I asked do you have decisions locally within the CU or does an outside loan company make the lending decisions. Also you they handle their own credit card decisions? If yes, think about joining. If Elan Financial(US Bank) does their cards, go elsewhere. Also if the CU has credit rebuilding products with reasonable rates and low/or no fee, join them. Some good credit unions are SDFCU, Navy Federal, Alliant, and DCU.

While you are letting the cards you have now age, I would try the preapproval sites for Capital One and Discover Card literally everytime you get a FICO alert your FICO. I got back into Capital One after a year post bankruptcy. Discovery did let me back in after 5 years. I just was able to find cards that worked for my needs.  

Hope this helps! Keep us informed with your updates.

Thanks!

Guyatthebeach

Message 2 of 20
Established Contributor

Get a secured card from Discover if you cannot get a regular card. Cap1 will approve you for a secured card too but I think you might be able to eek out a regular card from them.

I know you decided to go the Credit One route vs secured cards because that is what the thread says but frankly that method has been debunked. That Credit One annual fee is insane. Especially since it’s billed monthly in the second year. No one should be intentionally giving Credit One business. I googled them after getting offers in the mail. Of the many predatory things they do the one that stood out was they will give you automatic credit increases then charge you a fee of 25% of the increase in order to keep the increase. You have 30 days to decline the increase or the fee is non-reverseable. So if you are not checking your statement regularly....gotcha.

700 in 2 years is doable and I’m sure people are still doing it. I started out 7 months ago with scores of 450, 500, and no score on one report,. I’m at 657, 654, 679. I’m pretty sure I’ll hit 700 at the 1 year mark once the inquiries age off.

Two secured cards, one regular card, one Self Lender loan plus keeping my utilization below 8%. That’s it. I got a small (6 point) boost from AZEO. Otherwise, nothing special, just time.

BECU | Apple | Discover | Key
Message 3 of 20
Frequent Contributor

I’d like to see responses to this too. I am 14 months post BK and my current scores (all FICO 8) are in my signature, doing AZEO @ 1% and everything reporting accurately.

BK7 DC 1/2/2018

Starting Score: 512 Experian FICO 1/7/2018
Current Score: EXP 632 // TU 640 // EQ 653
Current Util: 13% TCL: $10,950
Message 4 of 20
Senior Contributor

@Jenniferinfl83 wrote:

It looks like the original thread is locked now, or I would have just asked there. Now that Barclay's doesn't have a prequalify link, is there another alternative that would work? Additionally, I was never able to get Discover, so, doubt I'd be able to get them now and no military affiliation. 

(I know I'm looking a bit early, in a couple weeks when everything is reporting correctly I'll cancel myFico subscription and come back in 6 months or so. Just want to have an idea what I should do 6 months from now.  )

Who got burned? Plus looks like you may have jumped the gun a bit early. Let everything update. Once you see all the IIB's and 0 balances. some get a score increase which in turn will help for approvals. The fire was just put out. Let the smoke clear and report back once everyhting has updated. We;ll be more then happy to help you rebuild. And welcome to the forums.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 5 of 20
New Contributor

Guyatthebeach, I am from Florida- I'm sure there are some good credit unions around here. I haven't found one of them yet though.. lol Fairwinds and SCCU are extremely conservative with their lending. I couldn't get even a $500 limit credit card from either one even with scores over 700 a few years ago. I couldn't get car loans with them either. I had banking accounts with both and finally gave up building a relationship with either. I may try another one, but, have to find some reviews I think. Fairwinds was good, a friend of mine who has terrible credit had a credit card through them, but, they had tightened up by the time I applied. 

Discover has never liked me, but, on the bright side, that means I never burned them either. Smiley Happy 

Unfortunately I had and burned DCU, for a tiny amount too. But, Alliant may be an option. Looking forward to when Capital One finally lets me back in. Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 20
New Contributor

Morpho, I will definitely watch my statements then. The terms I got with my Credit One card didn't seem that bad, I hoped that perhaps I'd dodged the bullet and qualified for better terms. My annual fee is only $59, but, I did get suspicious when they hit me up for $19 to add an authorized user.. lol 

I only got them to have a card. The moment anyone else lets me in, I will be closing that card. Smiley Happy 

I would have done a secured card if I would have had much in disposable cash at the moment. I guess I could have waited a couple weeks, which may have been smarter. I was paying tuition for the upcoming semester and squeaked through with no money left. I didn't get prequalified for even the secured Discover or Capital One. If I would have prequalified, I would have waited and come up with the money to do that instead. 

I'm excited to watch my score go up. I'll have to check back and see when you clear 700. Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 20
New Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Jenniferinfl83 wrote:

Who got burned? Plus looks like you may have jumped the gun a bit early. Let everything update. Once you see all the IIB's and 0 balances. some get a score increase which in turn will help for approvals. The fire was just put out. Let the smoke clear and report back once everyhting has updated. We;ll be more then happy to help you rebuild. And welcome to the forums.

I burned:

Capital One

Synchrony

Comenity

FNBO

DCU

Amex

My husband's bankruptcy took a couple days to update correctly, but, I pulled my credit before I applied for anything and everything already showed $0 and included in bankruptcy. There was only one exception, my FNBO card showed $0 and as a positive, open tradeline. So, I actually applied quickly so I could get in before that updated correctly. For whatever reason, my student loan is already reporting positive with all my payment history and my reaffirmed car loan is reporting active and in good standing with no late payments. 

I know I got pretty lucky with that, usually it's months for everything to be correct. Mine was correct the day I was discharged. 

Message 8 of 20
Senior Contributor

From your siggy it appears you got 1 card and 1 installment. You both could go with Open Sky. No HP everyone is approved and reports as unsecured and reports to all 3 CRA's. Then you'll have 2 revolvers and usualy this bumps the score up. This may get you past 600. If you could get 3 cards then you could get the FICO rebuilders bonus as I say. Snag Open Sky and wait 4-6 months and that should raise your scores up. One you hit that 650-ish mark. Then Cap and Disco probably will let you in secured. YMMV. This is just speculation without knowing if there are any lates from the past.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 9 of 20
New Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

From your siggy it appears you got 1 card and 1 installment. You both could go with Open Sky. No HP everyone is approved and reports as unsecured and reports to all 3 CRA's. Then you'll have 2 revolvers and usualy this bumps the score up. This may get you past 600. If you could get 3 cards then you could get the FICO rebuilders bonus as I say. Snag Open Sky and wait 4-6 months and that should raise your scores up. One you hit that 650-ish mark. Then Cap and Disco probably will let you in secured. YMMV. This is just speculation without knowing if there are any lates from the past.

My signature is a bit confusing, I'm rebuilding spouse's credit as well. 

I got CreditOne and Lendup Arrow- I already have a student loan and car loan reporting. My scores are up to 613 EQ, 570 TU, and 602 EX; probably not too horrible considering bankrutpcy was discharged less than a month ago. Spouse only managed to get Fingerhut and CreditStrong (Self Lender equivalent) but I added him as an authorized user to my Creditone. His scores are up to 613 EQ, 547 TU and 581 EX. 

My Lendup Arrow isn't reporting yet, CreditOne reported with too high of a balance. Spouse's CreditStrong account isn't reporting yet. There's definitely still some opportunity to pickup a few more easy points. We didn't have any lates at all. 

So, before I hit submit on this thread, I went and checked the prequalify on Discover again and they had an offer for me! The secured Discover It card. Guess all the changes from a couple days ago finally showed up for them. I applied and was approved, but, haven't funded it yet. I have three weeks to fund it. Anyone know if they let you add an authorized user? I was just going to do a $200 limit because that's plenty for my usage. But, if they allow an authorized user then I may do a higher limit. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.