Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 months post discharge what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 months post discharge what to do?

If I am posting in wrong section please let me know. My husband and I filed BK 11/2016 and were discharged in 3/2017. Since that time we both have capital one cards with $3000 limits that were automatically increased to $3500. I am wondering what can we do to maximize growing credit scores.  

In BK he burned Discover/Home Depot/USAA/Kohls

I burned Discover/Citibank/Lowes/USAA/AMEX

I am wondering what we should be doing now? Our mortgage nor car was not reaffirmed, we just pay monthly. I have student loan payments, he has no other reported obligation except child support. Can anyone provide any direction for us???

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8 months post discharge what to do?

@Anonymous wrote:

If I am posting in wrong section please let me know. My husband and I filed BK 11/2016 and were discharged in 3/2017. Since that time we both have capital one cards with $3000 limits that were automatically increased to $3500. I am wondering what can we do to maximize growing credit scores.  

In BK he burned Discover/Home Depot/USAA/Kohls

I burned Discover/Citibank/Lowes/USAA/AMEX

I am wondering what we should be doing now? Our mortgage nor car was not reaffirmed, we just pay monthly. I have student loan payments, he has no other reported obligation except child support. Can anyone provide any direction for us???

I would get ONE more carefully selected credit card now . . check the Bankruptcy friendly credit cards thread in this forum for options and make sure it's one you haven't burned and is friendly to BK'ers.

If you shop at Target, I bet you'd get approved for their card. (Store cards are only useful if they are at stores you shop at (and never got a ton of store cards whatever you do.) They were my second or third card about the same time post discharge as you. Instant 5% off everything in-store is pretty sweet IMO.

Then I would join NFCU or PenFed now, but not apply for any credit just yet. Garden your CapOne and whatever new card you get now, and apply for an NFCU or PenFed credit card just after your 1 year discharge anniversary, and I have a feeling they will be good to youSmiley Happy

Keep your inquiries low and balances AZEO with all payments made on time. Slow and steady wins the raceSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: 8 months post discharge what to do?

Sounds like you are off to a good start! With your student loans you may have an installment TL, what about DH? If he doesn't have one I would get a small secured loan asap to help with mix of credit.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.