Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pre-approvals after IIB????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX pre-approvals after IIB????

Let me preface by saying I'm not planning on applying, but I do keep on eye on the pre-approval sites just to see what's available. Never had an AMEX pre-approval before today. I have a BK7 from 2010 that AMEX was included in for almost six figures. Today, I'm pre-approved for a BCE, an Everyday, and a Green. My previous impression was that AMEX has a very long memory. Anybody else gotten pre-approvals from them after including them in a BK? I'm thinking if I did apply, it would be an insta-denial. 

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX pre-approvals after IIB????

I didn't IIB Amex, but had a CO with them about 10 years ago.  I had never received and pre-approvals from them, and when I applied a few times, it was always instant denial with no pull.

Then, about 6 months ago or so, stuff started showing up for pre-approvals, including fixed interest rate and sign-on bonuses higher than what was available on their website. I think mine were BCE, Everyday and PRG.  I decided to give the BCE a shot and it came back again with an instant denial, due to previous relationship.  The good thing is that there was still no pull.

So, I think something changed in their system that now allows for such pre-approvals to show up, but in my case at least, it was still instantly denied.  Since there is no HP, you could probably give it a shot and see what happens though.

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's really no reason for me to apply. I'd like to get 3% back on groceries, but I buy most of my groceries at Walmart so the BCE doesn't do me any good. 

Message 3 of 30
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Amex is IIB in my BK7 dc in 2011. For the last 20 months, I've been app'ing with them every month just to see if I'm still on their blacklist. Every single time, insta-denial with NO hp!

@OP I would surely be curious to see how solid that Amex prequal is and try it out! No hp if you're insta-denied due to blacklist. If however you do get a hp, then 2 things are in play;

1. You are approved for a card.
2. You are declined but are already OFF their blacklist.

In any given scenario, OP comes out ahead!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 30
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me preface by saying I'm not planning on applying, but I do keep on eye on the pre-approval sites just to see what's available. Never had an AMEX pre-approval before today. I have a BK7 from 2010 that AMEX was included in for almost six figures. Today, I'm pre-approved for a BCE, an Everyday, and a Green. My previous impression was that AMEX has a very long memory. Anybody else gotten pre-approvals from them after including them in a BK? I'm thinking if I did apply, it would be an insta-denial. 

You were pre-approved on the AMEX site?  My BK is a year older than yours and nothing for me on their site.  I apply every month and instant denial with no HP.
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you asked this question.  I'm mulling over an idea of starting a database thread specifically for companies that folks IIBed, and their history of when they were able to get back with them, or how long theyve tried without success.  I dont think such a thread soley dedicated it it(unlike the BK friendly thread v1 and 2) exists, does it?

If nothing else, there are a few companies I'd like to specifically ask about, and I doubt I'm alone.  I'm picturing that I could update the OP the same way the bk friendly one is.  Folks, let me know if this is a decent or indecent idea.  Bull, if such a thread were a success, it should stick around longer due to it's appeal, and more folks theoretically would see it and reply...giving you more updates as the time approaches where you want to pull the trigger.

Back to the current topic, as someone pointed out, youre in luck.  If you're blacklisted, you dont even get a HP.  If you do end up losing a HP, at least you know youre off the blacklist, and may get approved.  If not approved, you could always ask during a recon what it might take for your profile to fit their needs.  From my readings, AMEX does sound like one of the toughest after IIB, but rumor has it that as a whole, the industry is lightening up to a degree on that, otherwise they'd have a smaller potential pool than in days gone by.  Hopefully folks can provide some data for you to find where the magic line currently resides for AMEX.  I'm kind of surprised none of the natives have tried to rile you into applying, as much as we enjoy living vicariously at times here.  

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd love to know whether I'm blacklisted or not. I just don't have a use for the card. Plus I'm at 4/24 right now, and planning to apply with Chase soon. 

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SpecFile wrote:

You were pre-approved on the AMEX site? 

Yeah. I almost fell out of my chair. 

Message 8 of 30
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm glad you asked this question.  I'm mulling over an idea of starting a database thread specifically for companies that folks IIBed, and their history of when they were able to get back with them, or how long theyve tried without success.  I dont think such a thread soley dedicated it it(unlike the BK friendly thread v1 and 2) exists, does it?

If nothing else, there are a few companies I'd like to specifically ask about, and I doubt I'm alone.  I'm picturing that I could update the OP the same way the bk friendly one is.  Folks, let me know if this is a decent or indecent idea.  Bull, if such a thread were a success, it should stick around longer due to it's appeal, and more folks theoretically would see it and reply...giving you more updates as the time approaches where you want to pull the trigger.

Back to the current topic, as someone pointed out, youre in luck.  If you're blacklisted, you dont even get a HP.  If you do end up losing a HP, at least you know youre off the blacklist, and may get approved.  If not approved, you could always ask during a recon what it might take for your profile to fit their needs.  From my readings, AMEX does sound like one of the toughest after IIB, but rumor has it that as a whole, the industry is lightening up to a degree on that, otherwise they'd have a smaller potential pool than in days gone by.  Hopefully folks can provide some data for you to find where the magic line currently resides for AMEX.  I'm kind of surprised none of the natives have tried to rile you into applying, as much as we enjoy living vicariously at times here.  

Please do share any info you may have!

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt-2

Prime Blacklist Approval Experiment

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 30
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going to be the bad influence and tell you to app Smiley Very Happy AMEX is an option 5 years post BK, obviously longer if you burned them. So for science lets test that pre-approval! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.