cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVED for AMEX less than 6 months after discharge!!!

tag
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

Re: APPROVED for AMEX less than 6 months after discharge!!!

@2GreenThumbs  Mark the date on your spreadsheet. You are eligible for a 3x CLI (if approved) in 90 days, and another 3x (if approved) 180 days after that. In 9 months it can be a 9k card. I just went through building a 1k Amex and was successful.

Congrats OP!  Great post, lol

Thanks for the info!  I will definitely mark down the 90 and 180 day marks!

Message 11 of 25
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Congrats! I've checked the Amex pre-qualifier page at least a dozen times and and always got the "we don't find any offers for you". Just checked again now after reading your post and you know what??? I got a "Dave, we have found the following Pre-qualified card offers for you"!! They're offering the BCE with the $250 cash back for charging $1000 within 3 months!

But I'm going to pass for now. Smiley Surprised I just passed the 6 year post BK7 discharge in late Junuary, which may have triggered the offer. But I have 7 derogatory accounts included in my BK7 that will fall off between April - August, depending on the account, and that should boost the score from the current 720 CK Fako. And the fall is my time for a new CC, property taxes & $600+ filling the propane tank (life in the boonies!) make it easy to earn those spend bonuses.

But thanks for your post, and nice to know AmEX doesn't hate me anymore. Smiley Happy

That almost the same reason I'm passing up asking for any credit limit increases on all my cards.  I want to wait until my bankruptcy falls completely off in 2018.  I'm practicing patience and I don't want to get discouraged by $500 increases.  And I know BOA is won't even bother with increases until my credit is clean.

Congrats on your offer!  I am happy to be back in the AMEX family!!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 12 of 25
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

Thanks!

I went to the prequal about 100 times and there were never any offers.  After reading a rebuild story and seeing they had been approved for AMEX with a CH13 still reporting I figured I had nothing to lose.  I honestly thought I was blacklisted so I thought I wouldn't get the HP anyway!  So I cold apped and was approved.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I only have 2 HP on my EX report.  I've read other rebuilds that have gotten approved for AMEX, so I think you have a fair shot.  If you don't mind a HP I'd say try it!!  You may be pleasantly surprised like I was!!

ETA: My original OP was incorrect - I was approved for the Everyday Card and not the Blue Cash.  It was quite confusing when I applied and I was so freaking excited I ddin't pay attention to the actual card I was approved for.  I believe the one I have is very entry level so I'm sure that's why I was approved.

Also, I don't plan on asking for a credit line increase.  I'm just going to wait and see if the do an auto increase.  I'm not asking for any increase for any of my card, in fact.  Until my bankruptcy is no longer reporting, I'm just going to garden and let all the negatives fall off.  Everyone has there own opinions on CLI but it's not very important to me right now.  I'm patient - timing is everything!

Your story emboldened me since I read it last night.  This morning, I took a few steps.  First, I signed up for a CK account, just to see what card recommendations I would get.  My recommendations were:  "Very Good Approval Odds" for AMEX ED and Cap1 Venture.  "Good Approval Odds" for AMEX BCE, Cap1 QS1 MC (I already have QS Visa $11,000 and QS MC $10,000 so I didn't want that).  "Fair Approval Odds" for US Bank Visa Sigg.   Now, I understand that these recommendations are just that, recommendations and NOT pre-approvals, but I just wanted to get a guage as to where I might be.  Then I signed onto AMEX prequal site again, just to check.  NOTHING.  I decided to app anyway.  Filled out the BCE app, said a little prayer, and hit enter.  Several questions later,  I was approved for $1,000!  It's my lowest card to date, but I was excited and I know it will grow!   I left the garden on Friday to app for a new QS and because I was contemplating opening a new Chase checking.  I saw your story, thought we were in a similar situation and knew that I wanted to eventually add AMEX to my credit portfolio.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm also headed back to the garden until April 2018 when this Ch. 13 falls off my reports.  At that time, I'll try to add Citi Costco Visa to my portfolio and revisit thoughts of getting back in with Chase.       Good luck on your journey luxeprw9!

I forgot to ask  - did your "Member Since" date show from your previous account?  Mine did - my card shows "Member Since 2000".  I hate that I missed the back dating on CR.  Oh well.   I plan to app sometime in the distance future for a charge card and hope to get backdated as well.  I had a green, gold and platinum back in the early 90's.

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 13 of 25
Scupra
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

Thanks!

I went to the prequal about 100 times and there were never any offers.  After reading a rebuild story and seeing they had been approved for AMEX with a CH13 still reporting I figured I had nothing to lose.  I honestly thought I was blacklisted so I thought I wouldn't get the HP anyway!  So I cold apped and was approved.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I only have 2 HP on my EX report.  I've read other rebuilds that have gotten approved for AMEX, so I think you have a fair shot.  If you don't mind a HP I'd say try it!!  You may be pleasantly surprised like I was!!

ETA: My original OP was incorrect - I was approved for the Everyday Card and not the Blue Cash.  It was quite confusing when I applied and I was so freaking excited I ddin't pay attention to the actual card I was approved for.  I believe the one I have is very entry level so I'm sure that's why I was approved.

Also, I don't plan on asking for a credit line increase.  I'm just going to wait and see if the do an auto increase.  I'm not asking for any increase for any of my card, in fact.  Until my bankruptcy is no longer reporting, I'm just going to garden and let all the negatives fall off.  Everyone has there own opinions on CLI but it's not very important to me right now.  I'm patient - timing is everything!

Your story emboldened me since I read it last night.  This morning, I took a few steps.  First, I signed up for a CK account, just to see what card recommendations I would get.  My recommendations were:  "Very Good Approval Odds" for AMEX ED and Cap1 Venture.  "Good Approval Odds" for AMEX BCE, Cap1 QS1 MC (I already have QS Visa $11,000 and QS MC $10,000 so I didn't want that).  "Fair Approval Odds" for US Bank Visa Sigg.   Now, I understand that these recommendations are just that, recommendations and NOT pre-approvals, but I just wanted to get a guage as to where I might be.  Then I signed onto AMEX prequal site again, just to check.  NOTHING.  I decided to app anyway.  Filled out the BCE app, said a little prayer, and hit enter.  Several questions later,  I was approved for $1,000!  It's my lowest card to date, but I was excited and I know it will grow!   I left the garden on Friday to app for a new QS and because I was contemplating opening a new Chase checking.  I saw your story, thought we were in a similar situation and knew that I wanted to eventually add AMEX to my credit portfolio.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm also headed back to the garden until April 2018 when this Ch. 13 falls off my reports.  At that time, I'll try to add Citi Costco Visa to my portfolio and revisit thoughts of getting back in with Chase.       Good luck on your journey luxeprw9!

@2GreenThumbs  Mark the date on your spreadsheet. You are eligible for a 3x CLI (if approved) in 90 days, and another 3x (if approved) 180 days after that. In 9 months it can be a 9k card. I just went through building a 1k Amex and was successful.

@elim do you happen to know if the 3x CLI works for people with a BK reporting? TIA Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Was your ch13 discharged and still on your report for another 2 years, or are you saying the ch13 is off your report now?
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read it's still showing, so nevermind.
Message 16 of 25
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for this info.  I was wondering about the 3x CLI and I just reread your post and now I understand-  3 months, then 6 months after that.  

Message 17 of 25
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

@luxeprw9 wrote:

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

Thanks!

I forgot to ask  - did your "Member Since" date show from your previous account?  Mine did - my card shows "Member Since 2000".  I hate that I missed the back dating on CR.  Oh well.   I plan to app sometime in the distance future for a charge card and hope to get backdated as well.  I had a green, gold and platinum back in the early 90's.

I'm not sure.  How do I find out?  I haven't gotten my card yet.  If so, it would definitely say, "Member since 1990-something."

Message 18 of 25
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure.  How do I find out?  I haven't gotten my card yet.  If so, it would definitely say, "Member since 1990-something."

When I was approved for the card, it allowed me to set up my online account immediately after.  And from there I saw that it shows as "Member Since 2000".  Now that I have my card it says it there as well.

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 19 of 25
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

I got excited, so I tried applying and declined. Oh well, worth a shot. It sucks because CapOne is being really stingy with their limits for me, $1600, and an emergency came up and I really need a little more wiggle room.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.