cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acct Reporting After Ch13 dismissal

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Visitor

Acct Reporting After Ch13 dismissal

I had a Ch 13 that was dismissed in March 2008. Is it proper for individual credit accounts to still report the Ch 13 status? For example, I have a credit card account that was sold off to a CA so it has a zero balance but also shows Ch 13 Bankruptcy in the remarks section. Pay status shows up as Wage Earner or Similar Plan. Does this account still have to show as bankruptcy status?

Another example is a student loan I have. I'm current on the account (and have always been minus the few months during the BK before dismissal) but it still shows in the adverse section of my credit report. I assume this is because is shows Chap. 13 Bankruptcy in the remarks section because it says Paid or Paying As Agreed in the Pay Status section. I disputed it but TU said it was reported correctly.

Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Senior Contributor

Re: Acct Reporting After Ch13 dismissal

Yes, the account will continue to show "included in bankrupty" until the 7 year limit for the account is reached.  Since Ch13 has a payment plan, that is why your pay status indicated that.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Message 2 of 5
Frequent Contributor

Do you mean dismissed or discharged?????

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 3 of 5
New Visitor

Yes, it was dismissed.
Message 4 of 5
Frequent Contributor

Since your case was dismissed, rather than discharged, you are still obligated to pay the debt, as I'm sure you know.

In that case, if you have not paid the debt, the creditors can actually report full balances due, as well as late payments back to 2008.

If you have not paid these accounts off since your 13 was dismissed, and no one has come after you for payment, I would let sleeping dogs lie................Much better to have creditors assume that you were discharged, than to have them verify the dispute, only to discover your case was dismissed.

You don't say what transpired after you were dismissed, so I am just making assumptions here......

K

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.