Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Next Move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on Next Move

My wife and I filed Ch7 39 months ago. We started a bit late, but have come to the end of the 24 month BK advice on this site (it worked great!). My scores are just sub-700, and hers are 709-720 (she had fewer cards in her name, so has fewer negative accounts...TU doesn't show a single account not paid as agreed!). I was looking at our scores recently, and one of the things that is dinging her is a lack of tradelines. She currently only has 3 credit cards and our mortgage reporting. So, we are going to shoot for another card for her.

Obviously, getting a card we don't need is pointless. We currently use Venture as our daily driver; since we shop a lot at Costco and they only take Visa, we try to focus there. She doesn't like keeping track of flexible categories, so she doesn't use her discover too much. My question is, which card should we shoot for for her next? We'd really like to start moving towards Ultimate Rewards with Chase, since we love to travel and it's a valuable program. Is it too soon for her to apply for the Sapphire? Should she apply for the Freedom Unlimited now, and the Sapphire in a year, after we've established a relationship with Chase? Or is it just too soon to be knocking on Chase's door? Thanks for the advice!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Next Move

What cards do you have besides venture? 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Venture (18k) is from 5/16, then a Discover it (11.5k) from 2/17, and a Cabela's (4k) from 6/17.
Message 3 of 7
cpinsode

She could always try the Chase pre-qual website. It’ll let her know if she’s “pre-approved”. Did y’all burn Chase at all in the BK?

Starting Score: 625 TU MyFico 604EQ My Fico 596 EX USAA FAKO Feb 2013
Current Score: 625 TU MyFico 604EQ My Fico 596 USAA FAKOEX
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We didn't, but I didn't think you can get a "pre-approved" with a BK showing.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

We didn't, but I didn't think you can get a "pre-approved" with a BK showing.

I'm 99% sure Chase is a no-go 24 months post BK. I think approval is possible in a few more years (as long as they weren't IIB) but you have to recon for it. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually 39 months post BK. Or do you mean just from when we started the rebuild?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.