Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice please

Hi everyone; Im new here. I am considering filing BK...from my research probaply chapter 7 but I have some questions. my main ? is should I even file. I am hesitant to contact an attorney becasue I feel their opinion can be a bit biased. I have a score of about 580 right now. No open credit, but my report consists of about 10k in charge offs. I know settling is an option but I dont have the lump sum to even send for the settlement. Ive also tried making payment arrangements but thats out of my reach financially (those amounts came to about 700 monthly). Next Id like to know if anyone has regrets after filing, what would you like to have known before you filed, whats the downside of filing, how long will filing "haunt" me so to speak, horrow stories...anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated? I just need the real deal on what filing bk is really like. Thanks for all your help.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LynGene
New Contributor

Re: Advice please

I regret filing, but I'm a Ch 13er.  I only regret it because of the 5 year commitment to someone that I didn't even date.  Smiley Happy  lol  I'm paying 100% of the submitted claims, and I'm tied to a trustee that I have to ask for permission to do anything with my credit.  Credit impacts EVERYTHING, so I'm even stressed to think about applying for another job since that BK is on my record - not in the past but present since I still make payments. I totalled my car last year, and I essentially had to ask for permission.  Around the time I filed, I met a man that I am now married to.  Lots has happened in the 3 years since I filed, and having this chain around me limits my ability to roll with the punches.   Just under 2 years left!  Unless a 7 is a possibility I caution against it.

The only benefit for me was that I was allowed to do it a little more stress free since I'm on an imposed time frame versus what the creditors want.  However, if I could do it all over again I'm 80% sure I wouldn't do it again.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Thats exactly what I am looking for.. Thanks so much for your imput. If you dont mind me asking, what did you file 13 as opposed to 7? I dont even know tha tbasics.  Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 8
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Income levels and debts determine the type of chapter you can file.  There are median levels of income and tests that need to be taken to determine what chapter you are eligible for.  A qualified BK attorney will explain this to you.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks for that info. im so afraid of a BK AT because the last one i talked to told me a bunch of stuff that wasnt true. I work in the mortgage industry and i knew just enough to know he was wrong. I need an unbiased opinion. I may try to look for it online.

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Income levels and debts determine the type of chapter you can file.  There are median levels of income and tests that need to be taken to determine what chapter you are eligible for.  A qualified BK attorney will explain this to you.

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If you are looking for good, non-biased info here are a couple of very helpful links to start your research:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filing-bankruptcy-0

www.legalconsumer.com/bankruptcy/exemptions

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Smiley Happy  thx

Message 7 of 8
LynGene
New Contributor

Good luck!  I'll cross my fingers for a chapter 7 for you or at least a 3 year chapter 13 vs a 5 year one!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.