Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Already fraud... :( ... {UPDATE}

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Already fraud... :( ... {UPDATE}

My husband and I are rebuilding and I applied for and got a Cap One card a few months back. I use it for around town, dinners, etc. Never once used online. I got an alert from them about a charge and it wasn't mine. It was at a convenience store several States away! So a new card is sent, all good. 

But how in the world? It's never once been used online. 

Within a few days of that, we got an alert about a credit report change from Cap one on my husband's card. 

I pulled it up and it said...

• SYNCB/OLD NA

PO BOX 965005 ORLANDO, FL 32896

National Credit Cards/Airlines
    A potential creditor or employer reported that they pulled a copy of your credit file because you applied for credit or services with them

•  2 days later it says this...
  • New Account
  • 9/05/17

SYNCB/OLD NAVY

A lender reported that a new account opened in your name

SYNCB/OLD NAVY

General Clothing Store
    • Account Number
      60*********8
    • Payment Status
      Current

We don't even shop at old Navy! What do I need to do now!? How do I remove the account AND the hard inquiry? So upset by all of this. Frustrating and disappointing start back into the world of credit!Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Already fraud... :(

Ouch! 

First, call ON and cancel that card pronto! Next, dispute it on your credit reports.....all of them. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yes, first call Synchrony & close the Old Navy account, tell them you have been the victim of identity theft. Calls #2-5 is to the 3 credit bureaus, tell them you are the victim if ID theft and to freeze your accounts so no one else can open accounts in your name.

The fraudulent charge on the Cap One card was likely someone getting your card # from a skimmer on a terminal or the server in a restaurant getting your account #. But to open a credit account in your name someone has gotten your social security # & date of birth.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to my co-worker, except she got hit with 7 new credit cards...Ouch!!

Freeze your reports and call to report fraud like above said.

Come back and let us know what that status is.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! I'll let you know what happens with this.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg! This happened to me as well. I got notified of my application for AT&T services and then I got a letter from Verizon and a Furniture store for a card. So I did what everyone is posting. I first contacted the credit bureaus and I put a fraud alert on all 3. I also contacted the creditors and had the accounts closed. I was told by the Creditors that they would update and remove the inquireies. I honestly don't think the inquires have been removed though. Good luck to you and sorry it happned to you too.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are rebuilding and I applied for and got a Cap One card a few months back. I use it for around town, dinners, etc. Never once used online. I got an alert from them about a charge and it wasn't mine. It was at a convenience store several States away! So a new card is sent, all good. 

But how in the world? It's never once been used online. 

Within a few days of that, we got an alert about a credit report change from Cap one on my husband's card. 

I pulled it up and it said...

• SYNCB/OLD NA

National Credit Cards/Airlines
    A potential creditor or employer reported that they pulled a copy of your credit file because you applied for credit or services with them

•  2 days later it says this...
  • New Account
  • 9/05/17

SYNCB/OLD NAVY

SYNCB/OLD NAVY

General Clothing Store
    • Account Number
      60*********8
    • Payment Status
      Current

We don't even shop at old Navy! What do I need to do now!? How do I remove the account AND the hard inquiry? So upset by all of this. Frustrating and disappointing start back into the world of credit!Smiley Sad

Immediately FREEZE all three credit files for both of you. Report the account as fraudulent to the CRA's and to SyncB/Old Navy.

Message 7 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

This happened to my capital one a few weeks ago... I didn't want a new card so I had them freeze the account for a week... i unfroze it last week and someone used it again .. now I'm starting to wonder if capital one's security isn't so secure after all...someone also tried to use my moms capital one card three months ago...

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to give an update.
Old Navy and Sync Bank have investigated and we got a letter saying that we are not responsible for the debt and it will be removed.
They also said they would contact the credit bureaus to let them know.

I am going to also contact the credit bureaus and dispute it with a copy of the that letter and police report AND also ask to have the inquiry removed as well.

However, it looks as if my husband's credit score dropped 53 points since this occurred! (per Capital One's credit card monitoring)

So frustrating! We have a freeze on his accounts and a fraud alert on mine. How in the world are we supposed to build our credit back this way? Smiley Sad

Does anyone know of a way to get the MyFico monitoring where I can get a report monthly. I know there was a way to quickly click it before and is how I got mine. But my husband actually had no new credit and I was unable to pull his reports at all until he got a card. By the time that all happened, you couldn't click to get to the old promo any longer.
Anyone know? Or may just have to sign up for the quarterly. :/ I really need to monitor his too.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to give an update.
Old Navy and Sync Bank have investigated and we got a letter saying that we are not responsible for the debt and it will be removed.
They also said they would contact the credit bureaus to let them know.

I am going to also contact the credit bureaus and dispute it with a copy of the that letter and police report AND also ask to have the inquiry removed as well.

However, it looks as if my husband's credit score dropped 53 points since this occurred! (per Capital One's credit card monitoring)

So frustrating! We have a freeze on his accounts and a fraud alert on mine. How in the world are we supposed to build our credit back this way? Smiley Sad

Does anyone know of a way to get the MyFico monitoring where I can get a report monthly. I know there was a way to quickly click it before and is how I got mine. But my husband actually had no new credit and I was unable to pull his reports at all until he got a card. By the time that all happened, you couldn't click to get to the old promo any longer.
Anyone know? Or may just have to sign up for the quarterly. :/ I really need to monitor his too.

Use credit check total - you can get a 7 day trial for a buck and get all three reports. If you keep it, it 30 bucks a month, you get a daily updated report from Experian and a three report pull once a month.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.