Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am/Ex application post CH7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am/Ex application post CH7

Hey everyone, 

one of my main goals after bankruptcy has been to get in with American Express. They were not included in my filing. My CH7 discharge date is 2/19/15.  I've read that after 5 years it's possible to apply with AmEx, is that still correct? Would it show as a pre-qualify on their page once that date has passed?

According to WalletHub / credit karma my score is at 737 with transunion, 744 with equifax on credit karma (for what those scores are worth) 

5% utilization of total $102K credit limit across acccounts, with most credit card accounts at high limits (19K Barclays, 25K capital one, 21K discover)

$90K income

No late payments showing on my report

I want to apply for the Platinum Card.

Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions would be very appreciated! Thanks! 

16 REPLIES 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Am/Ex application post CH7

Have you tried the Amex prequalify site?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 17
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Flyguymux,

I was approved for BCE at the 5 year 1 month mark and it was a preapproval. When the Cash Magnet card was introduced, I got that on a SP.  I also have the Amazon Amex too.  

I didn't include Amex in my bankruptcy.  I can't complain about Amex, they have been good to me.

Guyatthebeach 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I get the immediate pre-qualify denial screen. I'm wondering if once I'm past 5 years it will automatically prequalify. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! How recent was this approval? Thanks, I'm looking forward to being in with Amex hopefully soon 

Message 5 of 17
Openwater
Established Contributor

I was post 5 years BK7, not IIB with AMEX. Applied for BCP and approved from the pre-qual page. I waited until after 5 years though. From your post looks like you jumped in a little early. Actually I was pre-qual for other cards, but I went for the card that I wanted which was the BCP. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 6 of 17
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Flyguymux,

I was approved for BCE at the 5 year 1 month mark and it was a preapproval. When the Cash Magnet card was introduced, I got that on a SP.  I also have the Amazon Amex too.  

I didn't include Amex in my bankruptcy.  I can't complain about Amex, they have been good to me.

Guyatthebeach 

Similarly, I didn't get any pre-approvals for years.  At the time I didn't know about the 5+ years time period.  I just happened to check the pre-qual one day and saw it although I was closer to the 7 year mark when I applied and got approved.

Amex has been great to me, as well!!!

R.I.P Cards 

Message 7 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You have to wait 5 yrs 1 mos before they'll look at you.

Message 8 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Also, the only score that matter for amex is EX FICO 8

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, flyguymux!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.