Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I just hosed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I just hosed?

Hey everyone - I havent posted much, but boy have I read a lot!! This forum has given me so much information and it's awesome, so thank you!!

Here is my dilema - I filed CH7 in November 2015, got my dischage 3/11/16 (Yay!)

I burned Capital One for about $6500 Credit One for $2500, Discover $7000, Citi $10,000, AMEX $5000 ( and a few other stragglers)

I tried the Cap 1 CC Prequal - No prequal

I tried the Credit One PRequal - No prequal

I tried the Cap 1 auto preapproval - declined, too many existing or prior obligations with Cap 1.

I do have student loan that was never past due that will report as paid as agreed and reaffirmed my auto, which is also reporting as paid as agreed now.

I REALLy dont want to get a secured card and be shackled to that, but don't know what else to do to get my revolcing debt going, since I foolishly burned the guys who usually let you back after a BK.

Will I at some point start to get pre-approvals in the mail??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I just hosed?

I would recommend going with a Secured Savings Loan and a secured credit card and get that under your belt for awhile, pay on time, let it age and then try Cap 1 again.

Message 2 of 9
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone - I havent posted much, but boy have I read a lot!! This forum has given me so much information and it's awesome, so thank you!!

Here is my dilema - I filed CH7 in November 2015, got my dischage 3/11/16 (Yay!)

I burned Capital One for about $6500 Credit One for $2500, Discover $7000, Citi $10,000, AMEX $5000 ( and a few other stragglers)

I tried the Cap 1 CC Prequal - No prequal

I tried the Credit One PRequal - No prequal

I tried the Cap 1 auto preapproval - declined, too many existing or prior obligations with Cap 1.

I do have student loan that was never past due that will report as paid as agreed and reaffirmed my auto, which is also reporting as paid as agreed now.

I REALLy dont want to get a secured card and be shackled to that, but don't know what else to do to get my revolcing debt going, since I foolishly burned the guys who usually let you back after a BK.

Will I at some point start to get pre-approvals in the mail??

Alright, first I want to say I know you said you don't want to start with a secured card.  It sounds like your options may be a bit limited to start your rebuild.  If you go to a credit union and see if they have any options for you, they might work with you and extend a secured card with the ability to get unsecured a year later.   I started with Credit One (never had one of their cards pre-bk) and it will take about 1yr to get off Capital One's blacklist.  

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, and welcome to the forums as well!

Message 3 of 9
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

duplicate

Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whoever you auto loan is with. Try them. I was DC'ed 12/15. Kept my truck w/Cap1. Approved for 3 cards with them since Jan. Top of the list. The Venture. Try that route. Barclays denied me last month, Venture is on its way today.

Message 5 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

I have never received one pre approval in the mail after my discharge.  I apped for everything I have in my profile.  I had to go the secured route to get my credit rolling again.  Then Capital One let me back in around 6 months or so after my discharge, YMMV, it takes some longer to get back in with them.  

However, it looks like you was discharged just a few weeks ago.  Give it some time, remember this credit game is a journey not a race.  It going to take some time.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you go secured with Cap 1?

Message 7 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

No, I did not go secured with Capital One.  I opened a checking and saving with a local credit union and at that time I opened a secured card as well.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed the same path. The day after discharge we opened a secured savings loan and secured credit card at our local credit union. One month after doing so, app'd for Cap 1 and got small start with a 500 CL, 6 months later, auto CLI to 1500.00 and 2 after. Five months after discharge approved with DCU at 1.99 for new auto loan. I am so happy with started with the local credit union. It really paved the path we followed. We did burn one Cap 1 card in bk. It all takes time, you must be patient.   Never rec'd any pre-approvals in the mail either through this ongoing process.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.