Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Card Declined due to 9 year old bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Card Declined due to 9 year old bankruptcy

When will this stigma end? Nine years ago I lost everything due to illness. I filed chapter 7 in December of 2010, the year I was declared permanently and fully disabled.  My current credit score is 743 and I have a 0 credit balance out of a total 20K credit line.  Amazon (by chase) just declined my application for credit stating bankruptcy as the reason. Seriously?  When does it end? Ever?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazon Card Declined due to 9 year old bankruptcy

Chase blacklists BK for 10 years. You'll be approved after that.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear about it. 

I agree about the stigma. How can they see you as a risk after 9 years of rebuilding? If  they stated lates or delinquancies  then I think there'd be reason maybe to decline you. 

Can you call to recon? 

Message 3 of 11
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When will this stigma end? Nine years ago I lost everything due to illness. I filed chapter 7 in December of 2010, the year I was declared permanently and fully disabled.  My current credit score is 743 and I have a 0 credit balance out of a total 20K credit line.  Amazon (by chase) just declined my application for credit stating bankruptcy as the reason. Seriously?  When does it end? Ever?

If you filed bankruptcy on Chase, the stigma may never end. Chase is a bank with a long memory, that includes miss steps with banks chase later acquired. 

Might call and ask to have it reviewed (back door number) its possible if everything else about your profile is good they will approve the card.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 4 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear about it. 

I agree about the stigma. How can they see you as a risk after 9 years of rebuilding? If  they stated lates or delinquancies  then I think there'd be reason maybe to decline you. 

Can you call to recon? 

It's a hard rule built into the system. It can be overridden by a manager, but unlikely. With them being so close to 10 years, it definitely wouldn't hurt to call. They may let them back in before the 10 years is up.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll be approved after your bk falls off provided your under 5/24 or pre-approved. I got in as soon as my 7 yr BK13 fell off.

Some like @pizza1 and many others, got in before the BK fell off a couple of years ago (this was when you could recon with a BK).

Message 6 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll be approved after your bk falls off provided your under 5/24 or pre-approved. I got in as soon as my 7 yr BK13 fell off.

Some like @pizza1 and many others, got in before the BK fell off a couple of years ago (this was when you could recon with a BK).

OP....Always do your homework before applying to lenders with a BK still on your reports. Times have changed with Chase in that regard.   I was one of the lucky ones who reconned very well (mulitple times) with them a few years ago, when they were actually allowing it.  I filed in May 2013, and was finally approved on a 4th recon with Chase for the Amazon Visa $3k SL in 01/2017.  So I was about 3 1/2 yrs post file date.  

Since they changed their BK policy to no approvals with BK still on reports, I wouldnt waste that HP and I would recon that....3 times if you have too. All it takes is the right UW to listen to your story, and if you're are under 5/24...thats a bonus. Good Luck

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Message 7 of 11
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

So, they make you wait about 13% of your average life span to get their card after a bankruptcy that may have been completely unavoidable (job loss, medical, etc.)...

<slow clap>

Frankly, I have ZERO interest in any card from a provider who imposes punitive measures that severe. There are options out there as good or better from card providers who don't do borrowers that way.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader

I totally feel the same way, especially if they weren't burned in the BK.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

So, they make you wait about 13% of your average life span to get their card after a bankruptcy that may have been completely unavoidable (job loss, medical, etc.)...

<slow clap>

Frankly, I have ZERO interest in any card from a provider who imposes punitive measures that severe. There are options out there as good or better from card providers who don't do borrowers that way.

Exactly right, but it's their money and their rules. It as you said, there are other lenders. Amex will let you in with a BK on your reports 61 months after filing, and others will do so even sooner. Use them instead.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.