Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express and Discover after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express and Discover after bankruptcy

Just want to let people out there know that I was approved for an American Express everyday card with a 2000k limit and also a Discover It card with 1500k limit today. I had a chapter 7 discharged In May of 2012 and Discover was included in the Bk. My credit scores from all 3 bureaus were in the 670 to 680 range. I've worked hard to obtain these cards so just want to share my story and success with everyone.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: American Express and Discover after bankruptcy

Huge congrats to you on your new cards! It always feels great when you achieve a goal Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 27
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Super impressive on getting Amex 5 years postSmiley Happy. Burning Disco and getting back in , no easy task, treat them well and watch them growSmiley Happy Great job!
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never thought I would be able to get another Discover card since I owed them over 8k when I filed chapter 7 in 2012. I tried about 18 months ago and was only approved for a secured card. Just tried their pre approval site which isn't the most accurate but when I entered my name and social it automatically filled in my address so I gave it a shot and was approved for the Discover It card with 1500 CL. Almost the same scenario for the American Express card. I've worked hard over the past 5 years starting with secured cards immediately after BK. I have several cards now including the Venture and Quicksilver so anything is possible. I've been reading these forums for the past 3 years and now I have my chance to share my positive experience. So yes you can get a Discover or American Express credit card post bankruptcy
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 

I must admit, I was WAY more excited about my Discover approval than my Amex. 

Message 6 of 27
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just want to let people out there know that I was approved for an American Express everyday card with a 2000k limit and also a Discover It card with 1500k limit today. I had a chapter 7 discharged In May of 2012 and Discover was included in the Bk. My credit scores from all 3 bureaus were in the 670 to 680 range. I've worked hard to obtain these cards so just want to share my story and success with everyone.

Congratulations!!!!!!

I got back into Amex's good graces at the 5 year mark!!!!  To me, that was the point where I felt like I have bounced back from my bankruptcy!

Keep up the good work!

Guyatthebeach

Message 7 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!!!!!!

I got back into Amex's good graces at the 5 year mark!!!!  To me, that was the point where I felt like I have bounced back from my bankruptcy!

Keep up the good work!

Guyatthebeach

My BK7 was discharged 1/31/2011, so I started checking the Amex pre-qual last year, nothing for me. Then magically in Feb. it started giving me pre-approval for BCE after the 6 year mark. I waited until late April to app. and was floored with the $15k SL. But the strangest thing is that when the card arrived it says "Member since 1978" - I know I've never had an Amex card before, and in 1978 I would have been 17 and working on a ranch in CO, so I don't think so. But, I'm not going to argue about it with them. Smiley Wink

Congrats, Stevenrf23 - glad to see your hard work at rebuilding paid off. The secured card with Discover no doubt helped. I went the secured card route with BoA which was included in my BK, and now 2 years later it's a Cash Rewards credit card with $1800 CL - one of my smaller limits but as I just use it for 3% rewards on gas, so it works for me.

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! 

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for sharing that's very encouraging as I too had Discover in my BK and have similar scores though you're a bit further out from your BK...congrats!

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.