Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI with a Bankruptcy still reporting

tag
Johnmccoy2710
Valued Member

Amex CLI with a Bankruptcy still reporting

Does Amex give out credit line increases with a Bankruptcy still showing on your credit or am I stuck with the same credit line for 4 more years until the BK falls off?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI with a Bankruptcy still reporting

@Johnmccoy2710 wrote:

Does Amex give out credit line increases with a Bankruptcy still showing on your credit or am I stuck with the same credit line for 4 more years until the BK falls off?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/AMEX-BCP-Auto-CLI-5000-Post-BK/m-p/6685562 

possible, but not likely based on DPs

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 9
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@Johnmccoy2710 wrote:

It's unclear to me.

Amex has approved me for a $25K SL for the BCP, a $25K SL for the BBP, and a $15K POTL for the Platinum Card; all with the BK on my record. Since then, I've applied unsuccessfully 4 times for a CLI on the BCP. The responses:

1. Bankruptcy

2. Bankruptcy

3. Overall utilization too high (based on 3-month-old report)

4. Usage is well below existing limit

So who knows?

Message 3 of 9
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

It's highly unlikely, but on rare occasions they have.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 4 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Not likely... every time I tried for my CL with my Ch 13 reporting it was denied for bankruptcy on report.  Still at my $10k SL from mid 2022.

Haven't tried since it fell off last month... paying off debt to improve scores first.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 9
gorgon
Established Contributor

Amex denied my 3x CLI and the only reason stated was the CH7 bankruptcy on my report that was discharged in 2018.

Message 6 of 9
Rogue46
Established Contributor

I have gotten a total of 1 increase on each of my Amex cards with the bk still showing but I'm nearing the end of it (discharges Dec this year). Prior to those increases I was turned down every time I tried. Reason being bk on file. Either way it's a softpull so keep trying and eventually they will give in.

Message 7 of 9
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

Is there a thread or data on how they treat starting limits?

I'm going to be at 61 months in July and plan to apply (been gardening since September).   I have gotten good starting limits from NFCU and have decent limits with Synchony (Venmo, Paypal) and Apple.    I was planning on applying for the Amex Gold Delta (they're my preferred airline) but was wondering if it the starting CL would be higher if I opted to apply for the Amex Platinum Delta instead.   It's just a concern that if I apply for the Gold Delta and they give me a starting limit of $2-3K, that wouldn't be enough to book tickets for my family (the reason to have the card) and if I'm locked in at that CL until my BK7 falls off (5 more years), then it wouldn't make sense to get the Delta card but another Amex.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 8 of 9
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@md_rebuild wrote:

Is there a thread or data on how they treat starting limits?

I'm going to be at 61 months in July and plan to apply (been gardening since September).   I have gotten good starting limits from NFCU and have decent limits with Synchony (Venmo, Paypal) and Apple.    I was planning on applying for the Amex Gold Delta (they're my preferred airline) but was wondering if it the starting CL would be higher if I opted to apply for the Amex Platinum Delta instead.   It's just a concern that if I apply for the Gold Delta and they give me a starting limit of $2-3K, that wouldn't be enough to book tickets for my family (the reason to have the card) and if I'm locked in at that CL until my BK7 falls off (5 more years), then it wouldn't make sense to get the Delta card but another Amex.

In my personal experience with Amex the first card was a lower limit then I'm used to but the second card opened was decent. Keep in mind Amex can be very generous with increases so even if it's a lower SL the CLI down the road should make up for it 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.