Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex blacklist

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex blacklist

arbonnetraverse,

I got approved a BCE 5 years and 1 month post chapter 7 BK. Amex was not included my bankruptcy as I paid that card off a couple of years before I filed. I now have BCE, Cash Magnet, and Amazon Business cards with Amex. 

I don't recall hearing anyone getting back in with American Express without paying them back on old accounts. I''m not saying it hasn't been done. I just don't remember hearing about it. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 31 of 45
Under_Repairs
Valued Member

@RCFL wrote:

I believe I burnt them for around the same amount you did. I burnt them in my Bk back in 7/2010 and I was approved for their Magnet (10k) and Hilton(2k)  last month. 

They didn't make you pay them back before approving you for the Magnet, or Hilton cards??

Current FICO 8 Scores as of 2/13/2022

Current FICO 9 Scores as of 2/13/2022

Message 32 of 45
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Data point:

AMEX Gold/Platinum/Blue burned in bankruptcy. Stopped paying them in 2009, Ch 13 finally filed in late 2013 after everyone and their cousin sued (medical bills, credit card bills- was also on a payment plan with the IRS at the time- basically the Great Recession, a layoff plus a stroke completely slammed me financially, to the tune of me still cleaning up some of the mess a decade later- lost my condo, was weeks from homeless and on the street when I finally got another job). AMEX got 50% in the order, finally discharged as complete in early 2019. They lost a five figure sum if you figure they only got 50%.

Bounced on an application in early 2019 without even a credit pull (I was expecting that, just checking to be sure I guessed).

Accepted for AMEX Green February 2020 on a pre-approved offer (chose between it and the Gold, picked Green since I had a Gold once, plus the SUB is easier, the benefits are slightly better to a Green card + the rest of my cards than Gold + rest of my cards). Smiley Surprised NO PAYBACK REQUIRED. This wasn't an Optima either, this was a real Green card. Maybe this was because it was a Chapter 13?

(Fun fact, BofA and Citi also have denied me credit for "past unsatisfactory credit history" with them as lenders, even though they sold off the debt a decade ago.)

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 33 of 45
ggmorning
Valued Member

if you burned a Macy's AMEX in Ch 7 BK, does that blacklist you as well? Or does it work differently since technically it is an AMEX/store card?

Message 34 of 45
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:
no hurt in applying if you are in fact 'black listed' as they wont pull credit

I would not advise this as it is hit or miss. Not worth the risk if you know your not eligible.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 35 of 45
Horrace36
New Contributor

Very similar story including timing but amex got about 20 percent. Amex didn't even do a hard pull. Just a denial stating that a previous account was closed.

Message 36 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

They closed my account without me even knowing. I know I filed for BK but they were t included and closed the account. I was never allowed to pay off the balance. 

Message 37 of 45
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ggmorning wrote:

if you burned a Macy's AMEX in Ch 7 BK, does that blacklist you as well? Or does it work differently since technically it is an AMEX/store card?

@ggmorning , Macy's Amex is backed by Citicards, retail division, not Amex. But, doesnt matter...AMEX has a solid BK rule...5 yrs plus 1 month post filel date (DC date to be safe), before they will consider you.  Longer if you burned them. 

Message 38 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if you owe a balance? 5 years and 1 month? I owe a balance of $1725. 

Message 39 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor
Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.