Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex blacklist

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex blacklist

Hmm, I had a Chapter 7 almost 10 years ago. I got a BCE with an $8000 CL (boy that was a surprise) about 9 yrs/3mos after the BK7. The BK7 was still on my credit report. However, I did NOT burn Amex in the bk7 even though I had 2 cards at the time (Gold & Blue.) Both had a zero balance when I went bankrupt, so I'm not sure if they were officially "IIB". They did give me a high interest rate (>20%) when I got the BCE, though I'm still within the intro APR period (0% for another 6 - 7 months.) I've since gotten a CLI to $15K.

I guess the only remaining questions are 1) Can I get them to lower the interest rate? and  2) Can I get my original "Member Since" date back (think it was about '04 or so.)

My score is now in the low 700's, so I'm not sure how much negotiating room I have. The BK7 just fell off all the CRA's a few days ago.

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 41 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Hmm, I had a Chapter 7 almost 10 years ago. I got a BCE with an $8000 CL (boy that was a surprise) about 9 yrs/3mos after the BK7. The BK7 was still on my credit report. However, I did NOT burn Amex in the bk7 even though I had 2 cards at the time (Gold & Blue.) Both had a zero balance when I went bankrupt, so I'm not sure if they were officially "IIB". They did give me a high interest rate (>20%) when I got the BCE, though I'm still within the intro APR period (0% for another 6 - 7 months.) I've since gotten a CLI to $15K.

I guess the only remaining questions are 1) Can I get them to lower the interest rate? and  2) Can I get my original "Member Since" date back (think it was about '04 or so.)

My score is now in the low 700's, so I'm not sure how much negotiating room I have. The BK7 just fell off all the CRA's a few days ago.

1) yes

2) it's already in the system. When your replacement arrives, it'll have your old member since date on it, as long as they can find the old accounts. Your online access should show it already.

Message 42 of 45
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Blacklist-Data-Points/m-p/5282955

I'd totally add my DP to that thread (because I basically did a spit-take at being allowed back into the AMEX ecosystem before the Ch. 13 was actually off my credit report and after them only getting 50% in a Chapter 13- I basically thought they wouldn't take me back for a decade+, if ever, and the AMEX Green is actually a good card, not some junky Optima), but it seems to be locked for me.

I can also add a 1K credit line for a Hilton no-AF Amex to that Green card, plus a prequalifier for an AMEX Delta no-AF- the Hilton card is basically now a 2.5% grocery card whilst my Discover Cashback isn't earning 5 or 10% (I value Hilton points at half a cent per point). Hard pass on the Delta Blue card for now (probably forever) because it's definitely not a keeper, and the SUB for the no-AF Delta is weak compared to Hilton, and I'd lose 6+ months on 5/24 with Chase if I took it (they're probably next in 2021 if I don't get distracted from the garden by shiny things or squirrels). The benefit package/earn structure for all the AMEX Delta cards overall just doesn't do anything for me compared to Green/Gold/Platinum- if I'm paying money to AMEX it's going to be for the AMEX charge cards or maybe Hilton Surpass.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 43 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Blacklist-Data-Points/m-p/5282955

I'd totally add my DP to that thread (because I basically did a spit-take at being allowed back into the AMEX ecosystem before the Ch. 13 was actually off my credit report and after them only getting 50% in a Chapter 13- I basically thought they wouldn't take me back for a decade+, if ever, and the AMEX Green is actually a good card, not some junky Optima), but it seems to be locked for me.

I can also add a 1K credit line for a Hilton no-AF Amex to that Green card, plus a prequalifier for an AMEX Delta no-AF- the Hilton card is basically now a 2.5% grocery card whilst my Discover Cashback isn't earning 5 or 10% (I value Hilton points at half a cent per point). Hard pass on the Delta Blue card for now (probably forever) because it's definitely not a keeper, and the SUB for the no-AF Delta is weak compared to Hilton, and I'd lose 6+ months on 5/24 with Chase if I took it (they're probably next in 2021 if I don't get distracted from the garden by shiny things or squirrels). The benefit package/earn structure for all the AMEX Delta cards overall just doesn't do anything for me compared to Green/Gold/Platinum- if I'm paying money to AMEX it's going to be for the AMEX charge cards or maybe Hilton Surpass.

Then add your datapoints so we can try to keep them in one spot to make them easy to find

Message 44 of 45
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

Then add your datapoints so we can try to keep them in one spot to make them easy to find

I repeat: the thread is locked for me. Can't add content. No reply button.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.