Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed with attorney

tag
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Annoyed with attorney

I doubt they will Google me but you never know, and if they decided to there's not much I can do.

After I posted earlier a creditor called. I referred than to my attorney and she had the nerve to ask me if I were filing chapter 7 or 13. Can the do that? I told her I would not discuss any details and hung up. I wasn't rude but shocked they asked.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 11 of 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@empressj wrote:
I doubt they will Google me but you never know, and if they decided to there's not much I can do.

After I posted earlier a creditor called. I referred than to my attorney and she had the nerve to ask me if I were filing chapter 7 or 13. Can the do that? I told her I would not discuss any details and hung up. I wasn't rude but shocked they asked.

Certainly she can...until actually filed she can ask anything. Truth is, you do not even know that for sure yet. There are many cases where chapter 7 filings are converted to chapter 13, and vice-versa. The qualifications and protections are totally different. Until you have a case number, the less you say to creditors, the better. I know how scary all this is....but unless you are committing fraud, or hiding assets, you really have little to worry about. Many, many, people have had to travel the same road you are on, including me. Do not be afraid when you have to attend the 341 meeting...the creditors usually do not even show up, and most walk out thinking....is that all there is to that meeting? BK is not a pleasant thing, but in lifes journey, it is more like an illness not a death. You will hopefully emerge with a much wiser approach toward finances in general, and that is a good thing. I know I did, and actually enjoy paying bills now. I actually get a little frustrated waiting for them to print, or charges to post. This can be a turning point in your life...if you let it be, and do not repeat the mistakes of the past, if mistakes, and not medical problems, got you there. The whole thing is really just not that bad.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hang in there. We had a long drawn out process to file also. Our attorney's secretaries always had some excuse. They moved their office. They were busy. Other cases were more in a position more dire. Someone was on vacation etc. I was getting SO frustrated. Especially when we got COURT papers from the local credit union we had a card from and defaulted on only AFTER she told us to stop making the payments. Anyway, they finally did get it together and although there was a court order for garnishment it didn't happen overnight and it never did happen. We live in a small town and I'm sure we were the talk of the court house and the credit union.... but sometimes you just gotta take a deep breath!

I finally called and specifically said I needed to speak to our attorney and I told her that we needed her to file us asap. If she was busy I understood that and I was happy to accept a refund and find another attorney. They assigned us to a new paralegal who got us filed within days (They already had everything on our end it was a matter of just getting the paperwork done and filed). I think they knew I was serious at that point because we did our final phone interview with the paralegal on a sunday and I'm guessing they don't work all weekend normally.

Our process had many hiccups but it's over and everything worked out. We were and still are concerned with ppl googling or looking us up on pacer or something but that's unfortunately part of the process. I hope they get things figured out for you soon!

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant to mention also that once we told our creditors we were filing chapter 7 and gave them our attorneys name and contact info not one of them called us again and it was MONTHS from us telling them until we actually filed because of all of the delays

Message 14 of 16
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Guess this is the week of annyoance because we don't even want to use the one that we have now. should have went with someone else and stuck to my gut after reading the reviews because this atty now omg. 

Message 15 of 16
empressj
Frequent Contributor

I've been trying to remain calm. We met yesterday and the paralegal said that she had just started working on it. When atty asked if there were any garnishment orders she said no just summons. Here's my thing, why wouldn't someone just update me, this would've calmed my anxiousness. IDK.
Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.