cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question about NFCU and insufficient funds FEES.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question about NFCU and insufficient funds FEES.

SO 10 days ago....I used our NFCU checking to get gas with my debit card. There was 27.89 in that acct.  The gas was 25.00 Well NFCU took that 27.89 and put it towards one of our deliquent accounts so that caused one overdraft fee. Then we had a few automated payments that I forgot to  stop on a few credit cards/loans. So now our checking acct. (not using anymore but it is open) fees are up to 162 bucks. Do I need to put money in there to cover those??? Thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another question about NFCU and insufficient funds FEES.

If you are planning on keeping the account, I would put enough money to bring the account to zero.

Message 2 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Has the automatic stay been issued to your creditors (including nfcu) yet?  If no, I would wait to add money to the account.  As long as the stay will be issued before the account is deliquent for 30 days, then you should be okay, they shouldn't close the checking account.  If it will be more than 30 days before the stay is sent to your creditors, I would let your lawyer know that you want to keep your deposit accounts in good standing with NFCU and get advice on what to do.  Once the stay is issued, they can no longer take funds from your account.  You can then bring the account to $0 or $5 or somethiing, but I would not use the account as your normally daily driver account until after the discharge.  And the only reason I say to get the account back to good standing as most credit unions will close your account and not allow you to reopen a deposit account if your account stays in the negative for an extended period of time.  But you don't want your deposits being added to that account to automatically be frozen and put toward your debts with NFCU and not actually pay for those fees.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are we just talking about $160 in fees? If so, call and see if you can get them waived. If you have any pushback, send me a PM.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because it bears reminding - go through your entire income/expense picture and delete ALL autopayments for the portion of time you will be in an active bankruptcy case. (IMO.) You are gonna have to figure out a system to track and manage your bills manually so you don't get into this kind of situation more than once. You'd be surprised where an autopay pops up that you didn't think of e.g. Spotify or somesuch where you were just thinking of utilities, so it might help you to go through a couple months of your past e-statements. If there's one that HAS to be on autopay, switch it over to the bank you temp. switched to instead of NFCU. Now's a good time to really get a good handle on your finances anyway, and iirc you haven't filed yet(?), and you're gonna have to become familiar with them as you take your pre-bk class and fill out all your paperwork anyhow. Best of luck.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes these are fees that have occoured. I did go through and cancel most of the auto pays but some it was too late because they were processing and a couple I just forgot. So yes....I will go through and make sure I have taken care of all of those. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.