cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else gone wild about Saving Money after BK?

JCHAP
Established Member

Anybody else gone wild about Saving Money after BK?

Since the discharge of my bankruptcy 3 mo ago, I have gone wild about saving money.  For the first time in my life I have a savings account with money in it.  I use to have a savings account but always joked it was a temporary storage account.  I go shopping and have a real hard time buying anything but essentials, I want that savings account to grow.  I have even liquidated unused items on Ebay and saved the money.  I have even put money into CDs at 5.5%.  My RV loan kills me when I see it cost me $50 in interest this month.  I cant tell you what a good high it is to have money in savings and feel in control.  I've made plans to save enough money to make a down payment of $20-25k on my next truck in 1 - 2 years.

I'm still enjoying life, I still go to movies, out to eat, camping, etc, but I'm very careful about squandering money.  Do you think I need medical help?  hehehe  Anybody else have this obsession?

Getting  loaded on savings!

JC
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Baybreeze
Valued Member

Re: Anybody else gone wild about Saving Money after BK?

Hi, yes, I am pretty much the same way. I got 2 small ($300 each) credit cards since my BK in 03 and I have to force myself to use them once in a while. I am so used to just using my debit card and paying cash, it's hard to get myself to use the cc's. Plus I also was able to amass a nice large savings and checkings for the first time in my life..it really does feel empowering!  I had to buy a new car last year (though I knew the yr before I was going to need one soon), was afraid of what interest rate I would get. So I saved up lots for a down payment and it was horrific to sign that down payment over when I bought the car!! UGHHHHHH, but the large down payment helped to get a much better interest rate at 8%, so I was very happy about that. The BK really did enable me to start over fresh and I am taking advantage of that big time. I never ever want to end up in such a financial mess again.
Message 2 of 4
Brammy
Moderator Emeritus

Great obssession to have.  LO!!!  MY thing I have a smal job soley dedicated to credit card payments.  I have my own biz which does good for me, but I also work  a partime job that pays biweekly an use all of that moey towards the month's purchases on my CCs.
Message 3 of 4
AngelaVa

I'm a saver, definitely. A friend of mine in town has really gotten on the saving bandwagon after finishing with his BK too - he said that there's nothing like the security of knowing he's got some money stored up and isn't at the mercy of the banks and the finance companies.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.