Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Recently Filed for BK 7? Starting our journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone Recently Filed for BK 7? Starting our journey

Hi all,

My husband and I have just began the BK chapter 7 filing process. 

Our attorney has not officially filed but has been paid and paperwork given. We are supposed to hearing about an appointment soon to proceed. We have about 50k cc debt, 1 repo, 1 FEMA federal loan. We will be requesting reaffirmation for our home loan and keeping a vehicle that we still owe on. What is yall's experience during these recent times? Has the pandemic caused this process to take longer? 

I've read some experiences on here and the pinned process message which is very helpful, however since times have changed a lot this year I find myself wondering if that has caused anything new as far as delays.

thank you!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
angelofmusic86
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone Recently Filed for BK 7? Starting our journey

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Our attorney has not officially filed but has been paid and paperwork given. We are supposed to hearing about an appointment soon to proceed. We have about 50k cc debt, 1 repo, 1 FEMA federal loan. We will be requesting reaffirmation for our home loan and keeping a vehicle that we still owe on. What is yall's experience during these recent times? Has the pandemic caused this process to take longer? 

I've read some experiences on here and the pinned process message which is very helpful, however since times have changed a lot this year I find myself wondering if that has caused anything new as far as delays.

thank you!

Only delay I had was with my reaffirmation and the creditor loosing (?) my original reaffirmation that was signed in May/June.  The counsel changed for the creditor and the new laywer for the creditor actually signed the paperwork and filed it with the court, but unfortunately the delays caused my discharge date to be extended/I had a hearing yesterday with the judge.  But, I'm not 100% if that can be contributed to the pandemic or a human error on the creditor's counsel side (and why they were relaced).  I'm expecting the whole process for my chapter 7 to take a little less than six months from filing to discharge now (if I don't have my discharge by November 1st, I will loose my mind lol).

CH7 Filed 05.01.2020; Discharged 10.21.2020

10.22.2020 FICO8 Scores: EQ 615 TU 560 EX 581
06.28.2023 FICO8 Scores: EQ 663 TU 663 EX 661

Rebuild progress: Kohl's $3,000; CapitalOne QS $0AF $3,600; CreditOne Rewards $700; CapitalOne Walmart MC $3,000; Overdraft Line $250; PenFed PCR $10,000; Kemba Visa $3,500; CreditOne $0AF AMEX $1,500; Target RedCard $1,200; paid off reaffirmed car loan!; Wells Fargo Active Cash $1,500; Comenity Ultamate Rewards MC $4,250; CapitalOne Savor One $3,000; Amazon Store Card $3,600; CareCredit $7,400; Synchrony TJ Maxx Mastercard $3,500; Well's Fargo Reflect Visa $3,500; Levin Furniture $7,400
Gardening until December 2023.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience thing has been running pretty smoothly. Lawyer delayed for 2 weeks before filing said he needed some info but didn't bother to ask me which sucked but he filed 10/8/20 I have a conference call with the trustee 11//5/20. 341 meeting 11/13/20. Other than the initial delay on the lawyer part everything has been going well. Fingers crossed hope it will be all over soon. Good luck to you and your spouse hope all goes well.

Message 3 of 12
angelofmusic86
Frequent Contributor

@angelofmusic86 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

thank you!

Only delay I had was with my reaffirmation and the creditor loosing (?) my original reaffirmation that was signed in May/June.  The counsel changed for the creditor and the new laywer for the creditor actually signed the paperwork and filed it with the court, but unfortunately the delays caused my discharge date to be extended/I had a hearing yesterday with the judge.  But, I'm not 100% if that can be contributed to the pandemic or a human error on the creditor's counsel side (and why they were relaced).  I'm expecting the whole process for my chapter 7 to take a little less than six months from filing to discharge now (if I don't have my discharge by November 1st, I will loose my mind lol).

So just wanted to share my update.  I had my hearing regarding the reaffirmation on 10.20.2020 and my laywer emailed me the discharge yesterday evening, 10.21.2020, so the courts are definitely moving fast (at least in my area)!

Rebuild progress: Kohl's $3,000; CapitalOne QS $0AF $3,600; CreditOne Rewards $700; CapitalOne Walmart MC $3,000; Overdraft Line $250; PenFed PCR $10,000; Kemba Visa $3,500; CreditOne $0AF AMEX $1,500; Target RedCard $1,200; paid off reaffirmed car loan!; Wells Fargo Active Cash $1,500; Comenity Ultamate Rewards MC $4,250; CapitalOne Savor One $3,000; Amazon Store Card $3,600; CareCredit $7,400; Synchrony TJ Maxx Mastercard $3,500; Well's Fargo Reflect Visa $3,500; Levin Furniture $7,400
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats great! congrats hopefully our process runs smooth and rapid. I don't know anyone who has ever filed for any type of bankruptcy and after reading Dave Ramsey books and failed to actually take his advice well bankruptcy was a big no no. But it's my only option and reading some positive post-Bankruptcy stories on here helps. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's one of the only problems I have with Dave Ramsey is that he amke it seem like bankruptcy is the devil. I thought that and didn't want to go down that road but lawsuits were starting to files against me (AMEX)and din't want to deal with wage garnishments and no telling who else would've followed suit. A friend of mine sat me down and covinced me to file and made realize it's not as bad as ppl make it out to be. Personally I think the bad rap is to try and discourage ppl from filing and reaping the benefits. I'm not glorifying BK but sometimes it's a necessary tool for a fresh start the only downside would be if you didn't learn from your mistake and end up back in the same situation 

Message 6 of 12
angelofmusic86
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's one of the only problems I have with Dave Ramsey is that he amke it seem like bankruptcy is the devil. I thought that and didn't want to go down that road but lawsuits were starting to files against me (AMEX)and din't want to deal with wage garnishments and no telling who else would've followed suit. A friend of mine sat me down and covinced me to file and made realize it's not as bad as ppl make it out to be. Personally I think the bad rap is to try and discourage ppl from filing and reaping the benefits. I'm not glorifying BK but sometimes it's a necessary tool for a fresh start the only downside would be if you didn't learn from your mistake and end up back in the same situation 

THIS so much.

I could go on an anti-Dave Ramsey rant, but that would take us off topic, so I'll restrain myself.  lol

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol true

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed on 8/31 & just had my meeting of creditors yesterday.   That seems to be a bit longer than normal it seemed, but otherwise it's been pretty smooth.  The MOC also seemed like a cattle call and they pushed everyone through really quick, which is possibliy due to a lot of cases right now with the pandemic in mind.    Good luck on your journey!   

I can comment on how Dave Ramsey calls bankruptcy, living hell.   That seems far from the truth unless your case is super complicated.   

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks we are having our MOC meeting this week over the phone. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.