cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone post-BK that bank with a local credit union get constantly denied for any loan products?

tag
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

Re: Anyone post-BK that bank with a local credit union get constantly denied for any loan products?

Agreed, I went to that other local bank to see if they can help me, but the manager isn’t available right now and I had to get back to work. I’ll drop in again tomorrow and see if I can do something on that. On the phone they said they would also need to know how much the bonds are worth, but maybe they’ll be more flexible. The local bank though offers ATM rebates and a 1.5% APY money market savings so they’re still better than the CU was.

But yeah, customer experience with this CU was abysmal. I’m going to gradually start changing everything over to the other bank. Clearly my ‘membership’ was not very valued. Capital One, a major national financial institution, has been somehow FAR more helpful to me post-BK than a local CU, it’s really quite a shame.

And yes, everything you listed is exactly why I want a local branch to be accessible to me. I’ve needed notary services in the past, and I’ve been thinking about opening a safe deposit box soon. I get that there are CUs anyone can join, but those branch services are important to me too.
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone post-BK that bank with a local credit union get constantly denied for any loan products?

I can't remember the last time I went into a bank or CU branch at all.  Online banking for everything just works for me.  I've deposited checks by smartphone when out of the country and they cleared just fine.

I wonder if your BK and the fact that you overdrafted your checking account may have red flagged your account?  I know some banks are very cautious if a customer has multiple red flags and underwriting may have seen that and denied you.  Ever ask if that overdraft had any effect on your approvals?

Message 12 of 14
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

The overdraft happened after I was denied for an LOC, so they’re likely not related. The last time I overdrafted I was not using them, and it happened a few years ago. That’s why I was extra sour about it when those transactions all hit at once and they charged me a fee, then on top of that they acted like I was offending them asking if they could refund the fee this one time. Hell, CHASE gave me better service than that and that’s saying something. They finally refunded half of the fee and that was only after some back-and-forth.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually get annoyed when members ask to speak to "the manager" for something that anyone could assist with. In your case I'd maybe ask for a manager -- they are responsible for hitting whatever sales targets exist. I would think a manager would know what their bank/credit union's bankruptcy policy is, or be able to figure it out.

Also, as far as the bonds go, estimate a value if asked. If they hear you're working with about 15 bonds worth about $50 each (for an estimated total of $750), that should be sufficient.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.