Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a new job.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for a new job.

I’m waiting on my lawyer to file chapter 7. My question is how long do I have to wait until looking for a new job that pays more money?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applying for a new job.

Immediately after the plan is filed. That is a snapshot of your debt and income on the date of filing. The next day you can win the lottery or get a high paying job and nothing will change.
A chapter 13 is different but you asked about a 7
Message 2 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@TattnallTrio wrote:
Immediately after the plan is filed. That is a snapshot of your debt and income on the date of filing. The next day you can win the lottery or get a high paying job and nothing will change.
A chapter 13 is different but you asked about a 7

Be careful. You generally have to bring your current\most recent paystub to the 341 and you will likely be asked if anything has changed since filing. Ideally, you want to wait until after discharge but after the 341 is where many people make changes. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay awesome. Time to get a new job after the 341 if it looks like it’s going to be smooth.
Message 4 of 7
Bobby1081

Hey there...I was in the same boat. I just want to point out that your 341 meeting usually happens about two months after filing. Nowadays with interviews and background checks it takes a good two months to even get a start date. I would hate to see you waste time waiting on that meeting to take place first. Good luck on the job search!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, I am going to wait until I get my 341 date then go from there.  I should be fine finding a job after the 341 though if I don't have issues?

Message 6 of 7
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

JohnKenny,

Personally I would wait 30 after your 341 meeting, because you have to bring your last 2 pay stubs to the hearing. During the 30 days after the meeting, the trustee's office could run a Lexis/Nexis report on you. You don't want to risk your bankruptcy being dismissed.  That''s just my persnal opinion and I know that's different than most.

Guyatthebeach

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.