Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approaching Discharge Date need advice

tag
sihmud
Regular Contributor

Approaching Discharge Date need advice

Hello all,

I filed Chapter 7 on October, 2020.  I will be receiving discharge around the first week of febuary but would like to be proactive and start getting advice now. I was able to reaffirm my auto loan with Navy Federal so i wont be entering post BK with no credit i have auto loan with 1 year history ontime payments and i am also an AU on 1 Amex card (3.5k limit and 1 TJ Max retail card (2.5k limit) neither have a balance. my fico scores are currently reflecting 681 TU // 691 EQ // 582 EXP. I included a majority of the major credit card banks so not sure where to go for my first credit card option. not sure if this make a difference but a majority of my credit cards were already discharged around 2017 so way before my BK filing so its not like the creditors were surprised or hit out of nowhere when i filed. unfortunately i had to include some credit cards that i was in good standings with just because my attorney said i had to include ALL credit lines in filing. in BK i included DISCO (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / WELLS FARGO (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / CREDIT ONE / NAVY FEDERAL CARD / CAPITAL ONE PLATINUM (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / CAPITAL ONE QUICK SILVER (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017)/ MERRICK BANK. 

So my question is where do i start? will any of these banks approve me for a credit card again? i know NFCU won't but how about the others? if not then would having my wife co-sign with me help get an approval? she has thin credit however its good with NO bk on file

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
sihmud
Regular Contributor

REBUILDING CREDIT AFTER BK7 DISCHARGE

Hello all,

I filed Chapter 7 on October, 2020.  I will be receiving discharge around the first week of febuary but would like to be proactive and start getting advice now. I was able to reaffirm my auto loan with Navy Federal so i wont be entering post BK with no credit i have auto loan with 1 year history ontime payments and i am also an AU on 1 Amex card (3.5k limit and 1 TJ Max retail card (2.5k limit) neither have a balance. my fico scores are currently reflecting 681 TU // 691 EQ // 582 EXP.

CREDITORS IIB

1. WELLS FARGO
  2. DISCOVER
  3. CREDIT ONE
  4. CAPITAL ONE
  5. NAVY FEDERAL CARD
  6. MERRICK BANK

So my question is where do i start? will any of these banks approve me for a credit card again? i know NFCU won't but how about the others? if not then would having my wife co-sign with me help get an approval? she has thin credit however its good with NO bk on file

Thanks in advance!

Message 2 of 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: REBUILDING CREDIT AFTER BK7 DISCHARGE

Cap 1 is forgiving but after 1 year post bk dc. i got back in with them 1.5 years post bk7 dc, i burned them for 5k. they started me off with a baby limit of 300 in may 2021 but now i have 3 cards with them, kohls 1500, quicksilver 1800, and savor one 3k.

You might have to start with starter cards that dont have the best terms or interest.

the ones i started out with were, applied bank, reflex, first digital, firestone auto, kohls, big lots, ikea, fingerhut, ollo, mission lane, ymmv .some cards like capital one have a prequalification page.

some people like to start with secure cards, its all a matter of what you want

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 9
sihmud
Regular Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Cap 1 is forgiving but after 1 year post bk dc. i got back in with them 1.5 years post bk7 dc, i burned them for 5k. they started me off with a baby limit of 300 in may 2021 but now i have 3 cards with them, kohls 1500, quicksilver 1800, and savor one 3k.

You might have to start with starter cards that dont have the best terms or interest.

the ones i started out with were, applied bank, reflex, first digital, firestone auto, kohls, big lots, ikea, fingerhut, ollo, mission lane, ymmv .some cards like capital one have a prequalification page.

What are your thought on PenFed? should I open a membership now or wait until discharge? and apply down the road

Message 4 of 9
Mjhall85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approaching Discharge Date need advice

Well congrats on almost to your discharge. Your best bet is wait for about 30 days after discharge to make sure your report is all reporting right,credit one is surely forgiving as well as capital one. A lot of people have luck right after discharge some before it getting approved. I would do the prequalifications on some of the cards and go from there. You won't get any great cards from the start but just have to look at it as a stepping stone to greater things down the road.Best of luck on your rebuild!

Chapter 7 filed 2/3
Discharged 6/30

Fico 8
EQ 681 TU 671 Ex 665
Fico 4 TU 690 Fico 5 702 Fico 2 693
Message 5 of 9
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@sihmud wrote:

Hello all,

I filed Chapter 7 on October, 2020.  I will be receiving discharge around the first week of febuary but would like to be proactive and start getting advice now. I was able to reaffirm my auto loan with Navy Federal so i wont be entering post BK with no credit i have auto loan with 1 year history ontime payments and i am also an AU on 1 Amex card (3.5k limit and 1 TJ Max retail card (2.5k limit) neither have a balance. my fico scores are currently reflecting 681 TU // 691 EQ // 582 EXP. I included a majority of the major credit card banks so not sure where to go for my first credit card option. not sure if this make a difference but a majority of my credit cards were already discharged around 2017 so way before my BK filing so its not like the creditors were surprised or hit out of nowhere when i filed. unfortunately i had to include some credit cards that i was in good standings with just because my attorney said i had to include ALL credit lines in filing. in BK i included DISCO (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / WELLS FARGO (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / CREDIT ONE / NAVY FEDERAL CARD / CAPITAL ONE PLATINUM (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017) / CAPITAL ONE QUICK SILVER (WAS DISCHARGED IN 2017)/ MERRICK BANK. 

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on almost getting to your discharge.  As was mentioned above, I would definitely check your credit reports after 30 days post discharge to make sure that everything is reporting correctly.  As far as where to go next?  To the best of my knowledge, no CU will ever take you back in if they were burned unless you pay them what was owed, and even then that's not a guarantee.  But luckily there are some halfway decent options out there you can try without necessarily having to resort to the worst predatory lenders out there.

After my discharge, I was able to get a card from Mission Lane, Ollo, and Mercury.  They don't have the best interest rates (obviously) but they are all unsecured cards and Mercury gave me a $3K credit limit.  I would also open a savings account with PenFed because they are VERY BK friendly.  I opened a savings account with them and then just barely 4 months post discharge they gave me a card with a $6K limit, by far the highest limit of any lender.  The credit bureaus like 3 revolving accounts and one installment loan as a minimum to get decent scores, and since you already have a car loan, you are good there.  Also, you still might be able to get in with CapOne again after your discharge because they tend to be very forgiving, you can go to their prequal page and see if you would be preapproved for anything after your DC.  So you definitely have options to pursue.

Good luck going forward!

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 6 of 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@sihmud wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

What are your thought on PenFed? should I open a membership now or wait until discharge? and apply down the road

Right after discharge open a savings with penfed. i opened my savings with 15 bucks and just let it sit from may til december and then applied and was approved for a penfed power cash rewards card, ymmv

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sihmud wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

In red you say discharged. You mean charge off? You didnt file back then. Once you check your reports after DC. Make sure they all say IIB and $0 balance. You will get a small score rise from being legally out of revolving debt. Cap1 is the most forgiving and the others are good as mentioned.

Message 8 of 9
sihmud
Regular Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

@sihmud wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on almost getting to your discharge.  As was mentioned above, I would definitely check your credit reports after 30 days post discharge to make sure that everything is reporting correctly.  As far as where to go next?  To the best of my knowledge, no CU will ever take you back in if they were burned unless you pay them what was owed, and even then that's not a guarantee.  But luckily there are some halfway decent options out there you can try without necessarily having to resort to the worst predatory lenders out there.

After my discharge, I was able to get a card from Mission Lane, Ollo, and Mercury.  They don't have the best interest rates (obviously) but they are all unsecured cards and Mercury gave me a $3K credit limit.  I would also open a savings account with PenFed because they are VERY BK friendly.  I opened a savings account with them and then just barely 4 months post discharge they gave me a card with a $6K limit, by far the highest limit of any lender.  The credit bureaus like 3 revolving accounts and one installment loan as a minimum to get decent scores, and since you already have a car loan, you are good there.  Also, you still might be able to get in with CapOne again after your discharge because they tend to be very forgiving, you can go to their prequal page and see if you would be preapproved for anything after your DC.  So you definitely have options to pursue.

Good luck going forward!

when you applied for PenFed. did you have an app invite or prequal when you applies or did you do a cold application? I've heard of people logging in and having an invitation to apply or pre approval pop up

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.