Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are they BK friendly credit unions?

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Are they BK friendly credit unions?

Please comment on the credit unions I have listed here. On fico I have heard that they are BK friendly. If you can share your experience with any of them I would like to hear about it!  Unify/Western, Nasa, Penfed, Affinity federal credit union, Apple federal credit union, Langley federal credit union 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are they BK friendly credit unions?

I didn't have any joy with NASA. They didn't like the BK on my report so they declined a CC. 

I had luck with NFCU though...

Message 2 of 14
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

To DriverMacGyver        How long after Bk did they decline you and if you don't mind asking what was your score and utilization?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShiningDown wrote:

To DriverMacGyver        How long after Bk did they decline you and if you don't mind asking what was your score and utilization?

Last month! My scores are low 600s and utilization is <1%. I'm sure it was a timeline thing. Like they don't extent credit until 24 months or something.

Message 4 of 14
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info. I had BK discharge 3/2016 I am right behind you. Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
holmesnmanny
Contributor

sdfcu will unsecure yours in 1 year and they have a 6 percent secured card, same apr as their regular card,

first national bank will send you a check at 11 months or so with no lates,

cabela's will likely give you an unsecured visa at 7 months post bk

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES, there are many BK friendly credit unions ! ! ! !

* included is a post I made in October to Baller's Credit Union Thread, whose link is included below.

There is MUCH info on the Credit Union thread, but because the focus wasn't about BK's, many who had them didn't annotate it in their posts. However, the Thread is RICH in info on CU's and individual situations, to include many CU's across the 48 continental united states.

Also, I specifically used the Search Function box to do much research on specific cc vendors, and BK info.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-Credit-Unions-Guide/td-p/4768788/p...

As you can see I joined this site in March 2016, and in seven months have made some forward progress.

After extensive research of this site and note taking, I developed a strategy & plan for a rebuild from a Ch 13 Bk. I joined all four of these credit unions before my Discharge Order in May 2016, and patiently moved forward. The only change to my plan was to make Pen Fed my first CC application. It was automatically denied, but approved immediately after a Recon. My experience with all of the vendors I have listed, have been both easy & positive, no complaints.

1) Navy - unsecured CC

2) Pen Fed - unsecured CC

3) Alliant - checking, secured loan

6) State Department - secured CC

* B of A - unsecured CC

* Wells Fargo - secured CC

Currently I am standing pat on applications, but might app Alliant for a CC if offered their legendary bonus points offer. However I will wait on them. Additionally, Capital One is on my list, but am in no rush to apply, as I am allowing both Pen Fed & Navy to offer CLI opportunities. I will also app for an unsecured SDFCU once my score is 700+, which his within striking distance. Then move on Wells for an unsecured card, at that point as well. 

I made a plan, and am sticking with it.

Thanks Baller !!!

I have since received an $8,000 CLI from Navy on a soft pull post AR (internal account reveiw)

Message 7 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

Thanks Sebastian! 😉

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: YES, there are many BK friendly credit unions ! ! ! !

@Anonymous wrote:

* included is a post I made in October to Baller's Credit Union Thread, whose link is included below.

There is MUCH info on the Credit Union thread, but because the focus wasn't about BK's, many who had them didn't annotate it in their posts. However, the Thread is RICH in info on CU's and individual situations, to include many CU's across the 48 continental united states.

Also, I specifically used the Search Function box to do much research on specific cc vendors, and BK info.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Official-Credit-Unions-Guide/td-p/4768788/page/4

NICE! I typically avoid the Credit Card Applications area because it inspires me to get a little click-happy Smiley Very Happy  Great thread though. Going to binge read now...

Message 9 of 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

NASA requires you to be 2 years post d/c with new revolving history to look at - don't bother though, just run Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.