cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attorney preparing to file, this morning a HP notification!

tag
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Attorney preparing to file, this morning a HP notification!

The short version:
Things happen, I was drowning and paid my attorney a couple of weeks ago to file for Ch7.  Email I got mid week is that they are almost ready for me to come in and sign everything.

This morning I had a notification of a HP on TU.  It is NOT mine.  I have only 2 inquiries on TU for a car I purchased over a year ago.

The HP was by Verizon Wireless.  I am about to email my attorney for advice on how to handle it because I'm sure that it probably doesn't look good on my part.  I have never had this happen before, but under normal circumstances, I would probably put a freeze on all 3 bureaus, and fraud alerts and dispute it.  I want to be prepared Monday morning for what ever he tells me to do, so I wanted to get some insight from you guys.

Also, I'm still tripping that someone not only has, but used my SSN for fraud and wish I could know who it is doing it.  I know that after the filing updates, I won't have to worry too much about anyone using my SSN for credit, but still.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Attorney preparing to file, this morning a HP notification!

I'd put a freeze on your reports regardless in this day and age. You can dispute it and also call Verizon and find out why and who did this.. Tackle it now. Dont wait for e-mails and such. But yes let your lawyer know.

Message 2 of 12
twono
Frequent Contributor

Do you have Verizon services for cell phones?  If so, they may have pulled your credit again.  I believe they are legally able to at any time once you sign an original contract or give them permission to.

Shortly after i filed a few months ago, i had 2 HPs from current creditors that are getting burned in my BK.

Message 3 of 12
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@twono wrote:

Do you have Verizon services for cell phones?  If so, they may have pulled your credit again.  I believe they are legally able to at any time once you sign an original contract or give them permission to.

Shortly after i filed a few months ago, i had 2 HPs from current creditors that are getting burned in my BK.

Nope, I've never been a Verizon customer and am happy with my current provider, so they have zero permission or authority to pull my credit.

Someone used my SSN and I have no idea who. All of these years of working to protect my SSN has worked well until now.  The only thing I can think of is an employee with one of my creditors is shady, or because my information was in the Equifax breach a couple of years ago (verified that it is), but not sure why they would try now.

Message 4 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Have you called Verizon yet?

Message 5 of 12
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Have you called Verizon yet?

Yes.  Worse hour of my day so far.  I found that there was an inquiry also pop up on EQ by them on the same day, but that inquiry showed Verizon Wireless in Lakeland, FL (no phone number, just a PO Box address).  So I called the number on the inquiry from TU and got Verizon Residential Fraud dept who stated they didn't see anything on my SSN and told me I had to send them a screen shot of the inquiry and in that email I had to put all of my personal informationn including my FULL SSN (I don't feel comfortable doing that).  She then switched me to Verizon Wireless and they said no new accounts with that SSN and there had been no applications with that SSN used with them.  However, it is showing them as a HP on both EQ and TU, so here we are.

Message 6 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This is what I'd do next. Go to a real Verizon store. Not one that from a company like Wireless Zone. Ask for the manager and explain the situation especially e-mailing a copy of your SS card. Let him see it. They can pull up records in house. Bring copies of your reports with the HP's and your SS card. They can then call corporate and have it fixed. I have a friend that has a Verizon store outlet in NY. Got her advise for ya.

Trying to get it removed without filing fraud alerts on your reports first. But I hope you did or will freeze your reports from here on out.

Message 7 of 12
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Doing that now (the freezes). You're also saying that I should not dispute the Verizon pulls, correct?  

Message 8 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If your freezing your reports now. Great. I like to go by the go to the source first with the history of how the CRA's can make things worse. The CRA's only report what is told them. Hit up Verizon and see how it goes. Last resort then dispute. Trying the KISS method first. Step 1 done. They know it isnt you. Step 2. Go to store and have the higher ups remove those HP's. Hopefully it wont come down to step 3.

Message 9 of 12
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If your freezing your reports now. Great. I like to go by the go to the source first with the history of how the CRA's can make things worse. The CRA's only report what is told them. Hit up Verizon and see how it goes. Last resort then dispute. Trying the KISS method first. Step 1 done. They know it isnt you. Step 2. Go to store and have the higher ups remove those HP's. Hopefully it wont come down to step 3.

Well, I just found a place on my TU report that shows the information that Verizon provided for the inquiry.  It is my information as far as first name, MI and last name and my correct address, but the phone number is a SD number and I live in TX.  I would imagine that the phone number the person gave is a bogus one though...  and both Verizon's Residential and Wireless Fraud Depts told me there was no application from one of their stores or their online website.  (looking for the nearest Verizon store to me now).

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.