Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User After Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User After Bankruptcy

I have a friend who has nearly perfect credit. He is 47. His score is nearly 800. He'se never had a late payment, a missed payment, a charge off, etc. No blemishes at all. He gets approved for every card he applies for (mostly store cards to get a discount) but never uses them. I haven't seen his credit reports but I suspect the only thing holding them down is the mortage on his house. 

So, my question is, if this friend added me as an authorized user to one of his accounts AFTER I am discharged, would that affect his credit at all? I would not want a card to use myself and he definitely doesn't screw up on his credit cards. (His mom was a loan officer for years and she pounded into his head how to be responsible with credit.) He only has reservations that my history would somehow affect his and I can't seem to find a clear-cut answer on this. Like I said, I don't want a card. I'd only want it to show as a positive thing on my report with an increase in age on my accounts.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User After Bankruptcy

It would not affect his credit at all having you as an authorized user on one if his accounts.

But the credit card issuer may NOT allow you to be an AU due to your poor credit or BK.

Message 2 of 4
silver_idle
Established Contributor

You can be added to someone else credit card as a AU, and it wont affect him. In fact, his payment history will appear on your report, not the other way around, but keep in mind most scoring models dont really factor in a AU, so it may or may not help. The best thing to do after you are discharge is to get a secured credit card and rebuild from there. Maybe use something like self-lender to assist on your path to rebuild your credit.

To what donny10 stated, if someone is added as a AU, the primary holder is liable for anything that happens on the card, rather if the AU is given a card or not.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand who is liable and who isnt when it comes to an AU.

Some creditors won't allow someone to be an AU if they have a BK.

AMEX will not allow me to add an AU to one of my accounts because the individual has a BK.

Creditors that ask for a SS# in particular.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.