Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on NFCU, Citi, Chase - CH7 BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User on NFCU, Citi, Chase - CH7 BK

Hello, first time poster.
I've looked "everywhere" on the forums and scouted the internet but have been unable to find an answer to my question.
My situation is this, my wife and I filed for Ch7 BK mid Nov, 2018. Discharge end of Feb, 2019.
We have a solid plan in place to rebuild, using the strategies gotten from the forums and such. Now I have two questions which involve being an AU:
Question one (the most important one for strategy planning): I only had 1 credit card in my name, with Discover, so I know they were burned for $400 (I wanted to pay them, but attorney said no). But I was an AU on several accounts, including NFCU, Citi, Chase and CareCredit - and they were each burned for various amounts in the lower thousands- since I was only an AU on those accounts, will that affect my ability to get credit with NFCU (the most important) and Chase (2nd most)???
My wife's plan is set, but my plan revolves around some choices based on the answers I get here.

Question Two is: my wife is an authorized user on 2 of her parents cards, and their payment history is flawless (as was my wife's before we were forced to file for ch7, due to medical expenses and my inability to cont' working for an entire year) but her parents utilization is very high, almost maxed on those two accounts (over 80%) Should my wife ask to be removed from them as an authorized user? Or keep them in place and build around it?

Please help!
Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User on NFCU, Citi, Chase - CH7 BK

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Or perhaps no one knows the answer, in which case, I'll keep looking around online for one.

Message 2 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, first time poster.
I've looked "everywhere" on the forums and scouted the internet but have been unable to find an answer to my question.
My situation is this, my wife and I filed for Ch7 BK mid Nov, 2018. Discharge end of Feb, 2019.
We have a solid plan in place to rebuild, using the strategies gotten from the forums and such. Now I have two questions which involve being an AU:
Question one (the most important one for strategy planning): I only had 1 credit card in my name, with Discover, so I know they were burned for $400 (I wanted to pay them, but attorney said no). But I was an AU on several accounts, including NFCU, Citi, Chase and CareCredit - and they were each burned for various amounts in the lower thousands- since I was only an AU on those accounts, will that affect my ability to get credit with NFCU (the most important) and Chase (2nd most)??? It should not. As an AU, youre not responsible for the account. If you were a 'joint" card holder, then that would be different. Chase though, you can forget it. Even if you personally didnt burn them in your BK, they have a policy now where they wont approve anyone for a min of 7-10 yrs, or until BK is completley off your reports. Dont even try, it will be automatically declined. 
My wife's plan is set, but my plan revolves around some choices based on the answers I get here.

Question Two is: my wife is an authorized user on 2 of her parents cards, and their payment history is flawless (as was my wife's before we were forced to file for ch7, due to medical expenses and my inability to cont' working for an entire year) but her parents utilization is very high, almost maxed on those two accounts (over 80%) Should my wife ask to be removed from them as an authorized user? Or keep them in place and build around it? If her parents can get their util down to 10% or less, and keep it that way until she is rebuilt,  then leave it alone. But if not, then Id ask to be removed. It will take a long time for you and her to be so rebuilt with decent lines to make up the difference in utilization, that it might be best to just ask to be removed for the time being. 

Please help!
Thank you

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your help! I'll keep my fingers crossed for NFCU then! And yeah I'm thinking the same thing about my wife being an AU on her parents cards, as I'm not sure when/if they'll be able to drop their utilization in the near future.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.