cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User

Eppie1983
Valued Member

Authorized User

My father is going to make me an authorized user on his AMEX which has a 10k limit and no utilization. Would I get redit from all of his good payment history or does it start now? Trying to get my scores up as I am finishing Chapter 13, last payment 6/8.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Timbo9205
Established Member

Re: Authorized User

It is my understanding that AMEX reports AU accounts like new accounts, so you won't get all of his history.

Message 2 of 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Timbo9205 wrote:

It is my understanding that AMEX reports AU accounts like new accounts, so you won't get all of his history.

This. You'll inherit the credit limit and any future payment history but it is treated as a new card from the day you are added to his AMEX account. If the goal of being added to your dad's account is to boost your credit scores I would choose just about any other bank/card to accomplish this, that way you can get all history from the card from AoA to payment history

Message 3 of 5
Eppie1983
Valued Member

Thanks for the info, would put me around 35k, is the benefit outweighed by having too much CL and no balance?

Message 4 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No such thing as too much in CL's. Its whats reported when the balances get to be too much. Or carry high balances. Your fine.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag. Just sharing my experiences after BK from learning here from rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.