Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized Users?

I'm seeing mixed opinions on AU. 

If you are added as an AU on someone's card that has an awesome credit history, no lates, and doesn't carry a balance, does it actually help your score and approvals? Obviously, some accounts with derogatory info in the past would not be worth it, but with a good history, I would think it would. 

And, if you were to be added to a specific card, like Cap One for example, would that help with credit limit and terms that you are offered when you eventually app for the same card?

Does anyone have experience with this? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized Users?

I was added as an AU on one of my mother’s Cap One cards prior to filing when I was hoping to improve my credit without filing BK. My scores just 75 pts in 2 weeks. However my credit was so far shot that it didn’t help in approvals. She removed me as an AU and we filing BK. As soon as my attorney gives me the go ahead and I’m going to have her add me back on in hopes that will help with approvals after discharge. It’s a 13 year Cap One cars with 0 late payments. It will help a ton. We’re also hoping to get financed through Cap One for a vehicle down the road so I’m hoping this will help with that.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm seeing mixed opinions on AU. 

If you are added as an AU on someone's card that has an awesome credit history, no lates, and doesn't carry a balance, does it actually help your score and approvals? Yes, depending on what else is on your CR. Obviously, some accounts with derogatory info in the past would not be worth it, but with a good history, I would think it would. 

And, if you were to be added to a specific card, like Cap One for example, would that help with credit limit and terms that you are offered when you eventually app for the same card? It helped me with BoA several years ago,

Does anyone have experience with this?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am interested in hearing more about the benefit of being added as an authorized user as well.  

From my *very limited* experience, I think the answer is yes it helps with approvals.  With filing CH7 I started to talk to my kids more about credit and finances.  As I started rebuilding after my discharge, I started paying attention to their credit profiles as well - which at the time contained nothing.  

I added myself and both of my kids as authorized users to my BF's secured discover (initial limit of $300) and opened each of them a Self Lender $500 loan.

As of today, both of their FICOs are over 700, all within less than a year.

They now have, on their own, the following cards:

Son (FICO 740)

Limit

Capital One Journey

$300

Discover

$500

AMEX Gold (Premier Rewards)

No pre-set spending limit

Daughter (FICO 723)

Limit

Capital One Journey

$300

Discover

$1250

AMEX Gold (Premier Rewards) *pending security review

No pre-set spending limit

I have also added myself as an AU on their cards as well and I *think* it's helping me in return???

Message 4 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Some lenders wont look at AU accounts. In most cases it ends up helping out.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Side note: It does help with utilization.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.