Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan disappears online from cosigner filing CH7 3 years ago

tag
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

Auto Loan disappears online from cosigner filing CH7 3 years ago

To keep it short I had an auto loan with Huntington bank where one of my parents cosigned. They ended up filing CH7 bankruptcy which went through and discharged around Dec 2017. I continued to make payments on my auto loan and recently went to look at my auto loan in their online portal and it disappeared now that they updated their website. Called and they said that since my account is labeled as bankruptcy from cosigner they were supposed to remove it by law during then to show that I am voluntarily making these payment but didn't 3 years ago until now.

I am here to ask if that has happened to other and is the actual case as I don't really believe it?

Reason being on my parents account the one that filed bankruptcy they still can view their mortgage online, but have to send a check or mail or bank transfer payment. Along with I feel they messed up then with giving me access to the online account for 3 years and find it odd now that I am a couple hundred away to pay off the loan they decide to just remove the online access feels sketchy.

I sent a voicemail to the Bankruptcy Attorney I paid to represent my parents 3 years ago and see if this is normal procedure, but wanted to ask here too if this is usually the case of removing account after bankruptcy. Thanks!

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan disappears online from cosigner filing CH7 3 years ago

Was this particular account included in the bankruptcy and was it discharged?
Message 2 of 4
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

It was not included in the bankruptcy and I remember the lawyer saying since it is still a creditor loan it was discharged I guess similar to the mortgage which is why the payments are regarded as voluntary now

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t understand why it would be discharged if it wasn’t included, but bankruptcy is not my specialty.

But you are a cosigner and you have the right to make payment to protect your credit if it was not discharged and I suppose even if it was discharged and they have a duty to accurately report that I would think. It would seem they would have to give you access to basic information. 

Let me ping @RobertEG maybe he knows.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.