Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto financing while in BK limbo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto financing while in BK limbo?

I'm almost there! I filed Ch. 7 BK in Feb. My 341 mtg is in Apr. My FICO score is currently in the high 400s.

My vehicle was repo'd in Jan, and I've been without one since then. My caregiver and I are struggling without transportation of our own, so we've decided to look into purchasing a used vehicle under my name. Caregiver would not qualify to co-sign at this time. Due to the cost of the BK, I do not have anything left in savings to pay for one in cash. An auto dealer in my state runs a program for "second chance" financing, and has offered to finance a loan through one of their lenders at >17% interest. I'm considering it because, a) we need a vehicle, b) I can refi in ~1 yr, c) now, I can afford the payments on this particular vehicle since having filed BK.

My questions are:

1. Are there any ramifications to financing a vehicle prior to my 341 mtg, and secondarily, prior to my BK d/c? If so, what are they?

2. How likely is it that I'll be able to refi in ~1 yr through a CU or USAA?

3. What is the likelihood that I'll find cheaper interest rates if I wait awhile to search for a vehicle? How much time is needed before those rates start to drop, and what is that based on?

I really just want the 341 mtg to go smoothly, and not raise any flags on myself. The saleperson at the dealership said she's been through 3 BKs in her lifetime! That doesn't exactly make me trust her, even if she is looking for common ground. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Auto financing while in BK limbo?

Good responce in Post#2 from Community Leader @DaveinAZ Good Luck. Ask your attorney. Each state is different in a way to.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Car-Loan-before-341-meeting/td-p/5089130

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was afraid of that, but it makes perfect sense. I will wait. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No problem. I'm sure its rough. But your almost there. I know you can taste it. But like I always say. Youll get better offers after BK DC than before DC. Some not all get a score increase after its all done. That may mean a lower interest rate. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.