Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan discharged.. score dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan discharged.. score dropped

Hi guys. I filed chapter 7 and was discharged in late March. Today my FICO notified me of score changes. My scores have been going up since my discharge so I was expecting more good news. Much to my surprise, my scores dropped 48 points! My auto loan status changed to reflect my bankruptcy. Can anyone help me understand how my scores are dropping 40+ points? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan discharged.. score dropped

Was the auto loan your only installment loan?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was the only installment loan left on my credit after the bankruptcy, yes.

Could that be the reason? So now I don't have anything reporting to my credit so it went down?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think so. 

Do a shared secured loan or self lender loan . . you can find lots of info on them on these forums.

Pay it way down right away (good for utilization and saving on interest) and then you'll just make small payments on it for the term of the loan.

It'll satisfy your installment mix of credit for scoring purposes and you should get a nice bump without spending unnecessary $ on another car note.

Message 4 of 5
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the discharge!!  Your report needs to be well rounded and because you no longer show an installment, reason for drop.  

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.