cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan right after (1-3 months) Chapter 7 discharge?

tag
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Auto loan right after (1-3 months) Chapter 7 discharge?

I tried searching, I couldn't find anything.

Has anyone gotten an auto loan right (new or used) after discharge? right after = with in 3 months. I would think it might depened on credit score and I know the interest might be insanely high (15%? higher?) but would someone even get approved that quickly or are you blacklisted?

No auto loans are IIB if that matters

BKCH7 - Discharged Dec 2022
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Auto loan right after (1-3 months) Chapter 7 discharge?

@WildestDreams wrote:

I tried searching, I couldn't find anything.

Has anyone gotten an auto loan right (new or used) after discharge? right after = with in 3 months. I would think it might depened on credit score and I know the interest might be insanely high (15%? higher?) but would someone even get approved that quickly or are you blacklisted?

No auto loans are IIB if that matters

It's probably possible but as you mentioned the interest rate will be much higher.   Also will likely depend on how much you're looking to borrow / downpayment.   Do you have ideas on this yet?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 14
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

id have a trade in, 5k equity (protected in chap 7) and possibly 6k in cash from a family member (am I even allowed to accept a gift like that?) he would also cosign if it would help but does not want to be on registration so i'd have to figure that out (in NY)

5k trade value

6k cash?

looking at cars that cost high 20s low 30s

just trying to see if i am crazy to think I can get a loan at all? 

DTI will be around 25% 

Message 3 of 14
sihmud
Regular Contributor

@WildestDreams 

I did a capital one auto pre-qual application and was pre-approved for $61k @ 6.24%. this was 5 months post Discharge.

you can try lenders that let you pre-qual with out a hard pull. they will give you an amount and rate.

here are a few.

CAPITAL ONE

PENFED (they let you check auto refinance rate with out hard pull, im assuming the same goes for auto loans)

Message 4 of 14
Gbelcher1980

I got one about a month and a half after discharge and my interrest rate was 10.06 percent through capital one auto finance.  

Message 5 of 14
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

I was approved with Cap1 3 months out of bk7 for $65,000. I took a $20,000 car loan so I didn't get back into bad habits. 

Message 6 of 14
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Ch7 was discharged June 2015. I put down $4G in cash and $2G on a card. I got the loan in March 2016 at 4.9%. Car was only $30G tho.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 7 of 14
T_Diva
Established Member

I receive multiple car loan offers weekly in the mail right after discharge. It was relentless. A car loan is the easiest thing to get after bankruptcy.

I only like to buy cars cash. Haven't had a car loan in 20 years. Thus I did not consider any of these offers but they came unsolicited. 

Starting Score:583
Current Score: 620
Goal Score: 670

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current Scores FICO 8

BK DC 04-2022

Starter Cards after BK:
Message 8 of 14
SeanJ2A
New Visitor

I'm 13 months post bankruptcy as of July. I was approved yesterday at a Honda dealer via Wells Fargo. 7.5% Apr for a 25k loan.

They pulled my Equifax Auto score which was 695.

Message 9 of 14
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

thanks for all the replies, so I have a chance / hope thats all I need

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.