cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK 13 / CH 13 - Discharged & Now Closed!

tag
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: BK 13 / CH 13 - How much time lapsed from last payment to discharge

@coreyb80 wrote:

Congrats and I'm sure it feels great to be done!!

I thought I was done only to find out today that I have 3/4 more payments left on my case.  Spoke with my attorney and he thinks it should only be 3 more, but hey we shall see.  

Yes, finally behind me.  Now I can sell my house and not worry the trustee will take a chunk from my proceeds.    @coreyb80  - What in the world happened?   Are you freaking joking another 3+ more payments?   Oh man, i'm sorry to hear that.  Not welcoming at all when expectations are contrary.  If there's any consolation look at this way.......if you dealt with it 60Mos+ then what's another 3 or 4 more, right?

Just keep your head up and keep a close eye on your NDC.org accounts and ensure money is being distributed accordingly.   This discrepancy you described should've surfaced through NDC....i would at least assume it should've.

Message 41 of 61
coreyb80
Super Contributor

I had been seeing 4 payments left in NDC and thought it was incorrect until I called my lawyer on it this morning.  Looks like the IRS adjusted their claim and won't be finished for another 2/3 months now that I've made the October payment. We are hoping they wrap up the IRS before the fourth payment as they're the only left to be paid now in full.  I'm cool with the extra payments as it's life, but I'll be glad when I see the words "DISCHARGED" haha!!

Message 42 of 61
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@coreyb80  - oh OK, I see "Good Ole Uncle Sam" got his hand caught in the cookie jar and got stuck.   That explains it, funny here in Florida all my creditors got less money once IRS came back with $20K+ taxes owed.  After the corrections were made over the course of 3-4 months about my 2nd or 3rd year into BK the final number was $15K taxes owed.  Then in good old IRS fashion, my BK adjusted and made IRS payments priority over my federal school loans and all other credits got less monies. 

I guess in your case the correction is taking place at the tail end of your payment plan, which is fine.  As long as the IRS doesn't come back months after closing and reopen or levy against you.   Rather have it cleaned up now than later.

Message 43 of 61
coreyb80
Super Contributor

@FLLGuy wrote:

@coreyb80  - oh OK, I see "Good Ole Uncle Sam" got his hand caught in the cookie jar and got stuck.   That explains it, funny here in Florida all my creditors got less money once IRS came back with $20K+ taxes owed.  After the corrections were made over the course of 3-4 months about my 2nd or 3rd year into BK the final number was $15K taxes owed.  Then in good old IRS fashion, my BK adjusted and made IRS payments priority over my federal school loans and all other credits got less monies. 

I guess in your case the correction is taking place at the tail end of your payment plan, which is fine.  As long as the IRS doesn't come back months after closing and reopen or levy against you.   Rather have it cleaned up now than later.

Once he told me the IRS was the hold up I was fine with it.  Take what you need and leave me alone!!  My balance left is like $350.  Would be nice if they took it all out of my payment of $450 for November.  Too much logic behind that for it to happen.  

Message 44 of 61
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Doubled up in December to get this thing over and done with after 5 years.  Estimated Months Remaining on NDC is finally at 0.  I'm just waiting for the discharge process to begin so life after 13 can begin as well.  

Message 45 of 61
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats @coreyb80 . Another chapter coming to a close. Finally!

Message 46 of 61
coreyb80
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Congrats @coreyb80 . Another chapter coming to a close. Finally!

Thank you and yes indeed.  I'm checking NDC and Pacer daily until I see discharged.  I'm sure it's gonna be a while, but it'll be worth it.

Message 47 of 61
Alh1978
New Visitor

Re: BK 13 / CH 13 - Discharged & Now Closed!

I don't know if this will reach you since it's an old post but I am now in this spot. My confirmation letter states checks need to clear before discharge and only half have cleared so far and it's been about 25 days. Did your discharge come before the creditors checks all cleared or did your checks all clear first?? As long as this five years was, this last leg of just waiting and waiting, is the true killer for me. Please help! Anyone... checks clear first or no??

Message 48 of 61
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@Alh1978 wrote:

I don't know if this will reach you since it's an old post but I am now in this spot. My confirmation letter states checks need to clear before discharge and only half have cleared so far and it's been about 25 days. Did your discharge come before the creditors checks all cleared or did your checks all clear first?? As long as this five years was, this last leg of just waiting and waiting, is the true killer for me. Please help! Anyone... checks clear first or no??

The answer may depend upon your region and Trustee, however, most, if not all, Chapter 13s are discharged within about a month or so after the final payment is made from the debtor to the Trustee.  The outstanding checks to the individual lenders has no bearing on the discharge, however, until all of the accounting is done and the money has been disbursed, your case cannot be closed.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 49 of 61
SB_F
Contributor

That was my experience as well. Closing was almost two months after discharge. Drove me crazing waiting on closing, but really it was only peace of mind I wanted. From the outside world's perspective, the discharge is what matters. 

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.