cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK 13 / CH 13 - Discharged & Now Closed!

tag
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

BK 13 / CH 13 - Discharged & Now Closed!

Curious to know how long other fellow BK CH 13 individuals had to wait between last payment and discharge?

I'm located in South Florida and made my last BK 13 payment in June 2021 after 5yr long years.  Called Trustee's office and was told all creditors checks have to clear before discharge can be granted.  I felt deflated since I have 32 creditors that I need to wait on and as of July 19 (1 creditor cashed their check leaving 31 more to go).  At this rate, I feel i'll be here 4-6 months. 

Anyone else gone or going through the same experience?

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: BK 13 / CH 13 - How much time lapsed from last payment to discharge

Sorry to hear that OP, but I've read what you're experiencing on here before.  My last payment is coming up in September and I'm honestly not expecting my discharge to happen until Nov/Dec.  Please keep us posted with your progress.

Message 2 of 61
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@coreyb80- Oh man, congrats!

Hope you in your case your creditors cash their checks quick and move on to greener pastures.  I'll keep this channel posted with results, please you do the same as well.

Message 3 of 61
coreyb80
Super Contributor

@FLLGuy wrote:

@coreyb80- Oh man, congrats!

Hope you in your case your creditors cash their checks quick and move on to greener pastures.  I'll keep this channel posted with results, please you do the same as well.

I definitely will.  It's been a long 5 years, but the light is finally here.

Message 4 of 61
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@FLLGuy wrote:

Curious to know how long other fellow BK CH 13 individuals had to wait between last payment and discharge?

I'm located in South Florida and made my last BK 13 payment in June 2021 after 5yr long years.  Called Trustee's office and was told all creditors checks have to clear before discharge can be granted.  I felt deflated since I have 32 creditors that I need to wait on and as of July 19 (1 creditor cashed their check leaving 31 more to go).  At this rate, I feel i'll be here 4-6 months. 

Anyone else gone or going through the same experience?

Sorry, late to the party here...

My gut tells me someone in the Trustee's office confused the discharge with the closure of the case.  At least in the case of my Chapter 13 and others I've known who've weathered the 5-year stint in credit prison, the discharge was grated four weeks after my last payment was posted, the closure didn't happen for three or four months as that is what requires all of the checks to be cashed and the money to be disbursed.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 61
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@HorseshoezThank you for sharing & you're not late - we kept the light on for you.

I'm like a hawk watching NationalDataCenter (NDC) & Pacer.Gov for movement.  July 7th motion was filed allowing creditors 21 days to object my motion requesting discharge.  NDC Case Status in the right hand corner in pretty bold "orange" color states "COMPLETED".  Then under General Information case status is "Completed Pending FR".  Research shows pending FR means "waiting for Final Report".   I also show $1,799 on hand - not quite sure what that means hope it's a return to me, which would be nice but i'm not holding my breath.

Message 6 of 61
SB_F
Contributor

All I can say is watch online for disputes between Trustee and your attorney, and make sure all of the amounts look correct. My discharge was delayed 6 months after the last payment. Trustee filed to dismiss thr whole case because a non discharegable IRS debt had not been completely paid, but that was because his office had applied payments to dischargeable accounts instead. Neither my attorney nor I caught it for month or so, and we had to actually file for a hearing before the trustee took care of it. By they got the payments back and redirected them to the IRS, 6 months had passed. No big deal some say, but if you want a conventional mortgage (not VA or FHA), you won't be considered for 24 months from the day of discharge.

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 7 of 61
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

(Update of as 7/31/21) - thought i would include some data points for others going through the tail end of their Chapter 13 bankruptcy.  I've been stalking both NDC.org and Pacer.gov.  Later afternoon 7/30 an Order for Discharge was filed, almost fell out of my chair.  Not out of the woods yet but tracking in the right direction. 

Date Filed: 07/05/2016

Debtor discharged: 07/30/2021 <-----(Order for Discharge - “A discharge under 11 U.S.C. § 1328(a))

Plan confirmed: 02/02/2017

341 meeting: 08/24/2016

Research shows the process before you're 100% discharged from BK 13:  Be advised YMMV it's not one size fits all I'm only sharing what Pacer.gov provides through public access and you should do your own research get acclimated what ever helps hedge the anxiety.  And of course doesn't hurt to reach out to both your Attorney and Trustee to get a pulse on where things stand.  There's other factors that can delay a full discharge which I've omitted to avoid falling into the dreaded rabbit hole.  Hence keep your attorney close.

• Order Discharging Debtor (Done!)
  • BNC Certificate of mailing (Done!)
    • some in pacer have this before the Order to discharge is entered and others have gotten it 2 days after.
  • Chapter 13 Trustee's Final Report (Pending)
    • this can take anywhere from 1-6months to complete but most on avg by 3 months.
  • Final Decree and Discharge of Trustee (Pending) ***Golden Ticket***
    • most cases I've seen this completed 1 month after final report.  however, some have waited upto 3 months.

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 61
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@FLLGuy, that is more like what happened to me, roughly four weeks after my final payment was posted (confirmed via NDC), my discharge was ordered (confirmed via Pacer).  The next step is the closure, and that won't happen until all of the checks have been cashed and the monies have been accounted for; in my case, mid-COVID, it took three to four months.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 61
SB_F
Contributor

@FLLGuy  That's a VERY good explanation that this site has been lacking. There is still little BK13 info on here, especially compared to BK7. I remember checking every few days and being pleasantly shocked/ surprise to finally see DISCHARGED! Due to trustee delays, mine took an extra six months.

Good job getting through it. Very few of us do.

Thanks.

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.