Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK Friendly Credit Unions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK Friendly Credit Unions

I know NFCU is BK friendly. Do we have other CUs that are, too?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: BK Friendly Credit Unions

With credit unions how long post d/c will also make a difference. Are you wondering in general, or for a specific time post d/c?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Howdy, I was wondering in general. But in my case, I was discharged 12/28/15, and having a difficult time finding a CU to refinance my auto loan. I kept my vehicle (did not reaffirm) but Wells Fargo has allowed me to stay / pay for the auto. NFCU declined my refi loan application. NFCU has allowed me two credit cards, tho.
Message 3 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

Where are you located? Also, what were the reasons for decline on the loan app with NFCU? I got my auto loan from then around 1 year post file BUT I do have some old fully paid, never late auto loans still reporting.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm located in California and reason for decline "BK". I too have paid off auto loans, paid off leases, no repos and no lates on CRS. Strange how approved for two CCs, but not for auto loan, also declined for CLOC, due to BK. PenFed said, no too.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

VIBE Credit Union but based in Michigan

Message 6 of 15
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Howdy, I was wondering in general. But in my case, I was discharged 12/28/15, and having a difficult time finding a CU to refinance my auto loan. I kept my vehicle (did not reaffirm) but Wells Fargo has allowed me to stay / pay for the auto. NFCU declined my refi loan application. NFCU has allowed me two credit cards, tho.

OP and Scupra,  Maybe the key here is a vehicle loan that was not reaffirmed (not repossessed). Can't the OP at any time voluntarily give up the car with no deficiency judgement from WF?  Can a vehicle that was kept but IIBK be refinanced?  I'm no lawyer... just a hunch. 

Message 7 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP and Scupra,  Maybe the key here is a vehicle loan that was not reaffirmed (not repossessed). Can't the OP at any time voluntarily give up the car with no deficiency judgement from WF?  Can a vehicle that was kept but IIBK be refinanced?  I'm no lawyer... just a hunch. 

Under the current contract yes, he could let the vehicle go. If NFCU was to obtain a new contract and pay off the vehicle the debt is now after the BK and valid. I would assume NFCU would state that as the reason for decline rather than BK though. NFCU seems to be a bit tougher on their loan products vs credit cards

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 8 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

Patelco used to be considered BK friendly. I would give them a call and ask some questions to find out if they still are. Digital Credit Union would be a good option as well once the BK ages a bit. Only other one I can think to check is the once mentioned SF fire credit union

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info.... Here is another, things that make me go Hmmmmmmm. I was approved for a NFCU nRewards Card right after my BK. I just asked for a CLI, received a letter denied due to BK. Well, I applied for a NFCU Signature Visa, and guess what....... approved. I'll take it, but strange NFCU would not increase my card, and approved me for a new card. (scratching my head)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.