Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK Lawyers

tag
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

BK Lawyers

I'm wondering have others had this. They hired a lawyer and someone else ended up going to the 341 hearing in their place?  

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Re: BK Lawyers

Again don't over complicate the situation, it's very simple. First google bankruptcy attorney in your area. Second look for the most affordable one to your budget ( they all can get the job done you don't need the most talented and expensive one) as long as you don't have a complicated case. Third at the meeting with creditors my attorney didn't say a word other that his credentials for the record, you are the one whose going to answer all the questions, 5 min max.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the personal experience you are asking about, but I have seen cases where a larger firm sends other staff members to the 341 meetings. They really play no important role other than what @jazmar described.

Message 3 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I had a different lawyer with me during my 341 meeting. She was part of the group thats based out of Orlando where the courts are but have offices around Central FL and I live 70 miles from Orlando. BK courts have districts. They're not at every local courthouse. So you may not see your orginal lawyer at the 341. Its over in minutes and off you go.

Message 4 of 22
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Has anyone that you know of in these forums had issues? 

Message 5 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

In the three yrs here. Nope. The process leading up to the 341 is stressful yes. But afterwards you say to yourself I got all worked up over this? Piece of cake. Dont let it make a mountain over a mole hill.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it to be, at least in my area, a common practice. We hired an attorney from the nearest metro-area, although we were about 60 miles away, and he was very clear with us that he would likely have another attorney present with us at the 341 meeting due to the distance. His office still handled all matters related to the case, but he had partnered up with different attorneys, in different districts, to broaden his coverage.

Message 7 of 22
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

in my case (top 10 metro area) my attorney is a 1 man office, he showed and as others said it's extremely stressful leading up to the meeting, I was extremely thankful he was there and not someone else as it helped calm me BUT the stress was all selfinduced....in hindsight anyone else could have sat in for my attorney and it wouldn't have impacted a thing.....try not to stress over the little things and trust whoever you hire 100%, if you can't you need to find someone else

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nomadic_traveler wrote:

In the process of finding a lawyer.  I've talked to a few.  One thing I've heard about is that sometimes the lawyer you hire doesn't always go to the 431 hearing.  Instead they hire someone else.  In fact one laywer I talked to admitted to me that he often gets double booked with hearings and as a result he'll hire another lawyer out his own pocket to go to one of the hearings. 

So I'm wondering have others had this. They hired a lawyer and someone else ended up going to the 431 hearing in their place?  

And, in addition to the great advice that everyone has given thus far, if you are a "no-assets" case and pass the means test, it's much less stressful than people build it up to be; barring any unusual circumstances. We sat in a room with numerous individuals, were called up to sit and the trustees desk, asked about ten questions, and then went on our way. Our trustee was very nice, wished us well, and was very sincere. I hope you have a similar experience, if not the same.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This did happen to me. My lawyer could not attend the 341 meeting as it was about an hour drive and he had other 341 meetings on the same day in the city where his firm was. So he had another attorney who was going to be there and already representing three other people fill in for him.
No real issues arised in the hearing so it wasn’t really an issue. Plus the paralegal emailed me a week before the meeting notifying me of this change.
But the thing is, it doesn’t really matter to an extent if another lawyer fills in because chances are the lawyer you hired isn’t really super familiar with your specific case anyway as they take hundreds of clients on. The paralegals are the ones who are filing your petition and meeting with you usually but they can’t represent you.
Long story short, it may happen but even if it does, don’t sweat it too much.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.