Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK Lawyers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK Lawyers

@jazmar is absolutely correct.
The biggest role the attorney plays is the pre-bankruptcy preparation and legal advice, and like I said earlier, the attorney who owns the firm doesn’t really do this. His or her paralegals usually do.
I met with my lawyer once throughout the entire process and interacted with the paralegal most of the time.
Message 11 of 22
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Gotcha.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My attorney let me sign the retainer agreement without paying them a cent and said they will fill everything out but just won’t file until I paid them in full.
I don’t know if all attorneys allow that or not.
Message 13 of 22
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Yeah that sounds right. The attorneys I talked with all said the same thing.  They will do the paper work but can't file until they are paid. 

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a Chapter 7 and from the time I gave them all the documents they asked for to prepare the petition to the time they filed was 15 days.
Message 15 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@nomadic_traveler wrote:

So looks like I'll be going in to pay and hand over my paper work in a few days. One thing I thought was interesting was that the law firm I'm working with said it takes 3 to 4 weeks for them to prepare the paper work. It takes this long because they work on clients in the order they paid.  I'm planning to pay in full when I submit my paper work.  But if you want to expedite the process you can pay an extra $500.  I'm only thinking of doing that actually because as it turns out one of the creditors has filed papers in court but has not served me yet.  So would want the papers filed before anything more happens.  

Once you get copies of all the paperwork invovled in a BK then you'll see its a small book. I printed everything from PACER, all the paperwork from the lawyer and placed it all in a binder. Theres alot that goes into it. you'll see.

Message 16 of 22
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

I realize you're talking about what the lawyers fill out but even what I have to fill out is a ton of stuff.  Will have to call and talk to someone tomorrow to get some clarification on some stuff.

Message 17 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The lawyer or paralegal will go over everything with a fine tooth comb. They have to protect you and themselves once everything is presented to the court and the trustee that everything is in place and correct so you can get you DC'ed after the 341 meeting. They dont want it dismissed or have to come back again in front of the trustee again because they missed to dot an I or cross a T. Procesing the BK in the computer has it protocols so no mistakes are made. No difference than if you called 911 for a medical call. I have to fill out everything on my toughbook related to the emergency and the program wont let me by-pass or miss a protocol required treatment. Everything needed for documentation is recorded to CMyA and my Medical Directors License.

Message 18 of 22
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@nomadic_traveler wrote:

So looks like I'll be going in to pay and hand over my paper work in a few days. One thing I thought was interesting was that the law firm I'm working with said it takes 3 to 4 weeks for them to prepare the paper work. It takes this long because they work on clients in the order they paid.  I'm planning to pay in full when I submit my paper work.  But if you want to expedite the process you can pay an extra $500.  I'm only thinking of doing that actually because as it turns out one of the creditors has filed papers in court but has not served me yet.  So would want the papers filed before anything more happens.  

3-4 weeks unless you pay extra??? I did a consult (free) came back with all the paperwork 2 weeks later, lawyer and I sat down and filled out the paperwork (took maybe an hour), I left & he reviewed it one last time, by the time I was home the case was filed - doesn't take that long for the paperwork to be completed......if it was me I'd perhaps look for another firm as I don't like to be nickeled and dimed 

Message 19 of 22
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My attorney let me sign the retainer agreement without paying them a cent and said they will fill everything out but just won’t file until I paid them in full.
I don’t know if all attorneys allow that or not.

I paid something (maybe $600?) with the rest of the fee coming out of the bankruptcy estate (chapter 13 case here)

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.