cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK discharged in 19. Still in 600's. Feeling Stuck & Discouraged. Re-establish NFCU?

tag
sexymommee

BK discharged in 19. Still in 600's. Feeling Stuck & Discouraged. Re-establish NFCU?

Hey all. It's come to that point in my lurk life where I too have to come out of the shadows lol. I'm stuck on what I should be doing to continue my journey on rebuilding my score. It's like I hit a road block. 

I'd also would like to build my relationship back with NFCU. I burned them in my BK however have since made them whole. Just don't know how to go about doing that. 

Any critiques/suggestions I'm totally open. Feel free to link threads as well. I am NOT against a good read Heart

TIA

1. EQ 670
  2. TU 614
  3. EX 652

I have a total of 14 accounts showing on my reports. 

• 1 Public record/Chpt 7 BK Discharged June 2019
  • 1 collection account that is recent from Geico for $79 friggin bucks which shouldn't be on there because I pay them in full every 6 months and canceled but that's another story and dealing with that as we speak.
  • 1 repo that's actually in the BK above Smiley Frustrated
  • 5 student loan accounts 180 past due
  • 3 revolving accounts open paid as agreed with low utilization 
  • 4 installment accounts closed paid as agreed
  • 3 inquiries
2/15 EQ 444, TU 437, EX 487
3/16 EQ 610, TU 648, EX 621

NFCU 4k. Paypal 5h. Cap1 QS 3h. VS 3.5h
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: BK discharged in 19. Still in 600's. Feeling Stuck & Discouraged. Re-establish NFCU?

if your student loans are federal, consider the Fresh Start program 

get your repo to report accurately that it was part of the BK, if it's not being reported accurately?

I'm unsure if you need to do anything on NFCU's end before applying for a secured card, maybe others have insight on what process you should take for that

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 10
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: BK discharged in 19. Still in 600's. Feeling Stuck & Discouraged. Re-establish NFCU?

@GZG wrote:

if your student loans are federal, consider the Fresh Start program 

get your repo to report accurately that it was part of the BK, if it's not being reported accurately?

I'm unsure if you need to do anything on NFCU's end before applying for a secured card, maybe others have insight on what process you should take for that

^ This.  

Also, contact GEICO and ask them to recall the collection if you pay in full and remove the collection from all three bureaus.
   You can't significantly improve your scores until you bring those 180s current and hopefully get that collection paid and off your records.

You should be at 680+ FICO 8 and FICO 9 on all three reports

Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sexymommee wrote:

Hey all. It's come to that point in my lurk life where I too have to come out of the shadows lol. I'm stuck on what I should be doing to continue my journey on rebuilding my score. It's like I hit a road block. 

I'd also would like to build my relationship back with NFCU. I burned them in my BK however have since made them whole. Just don't know how to go about doing that. 

Any critiques/suggestions I'm totally open. Feel free to link threads as well. I am NOT against a good read Heart

TIA

1. EQ 670
  2. TU 614
  3. EX 652
  • 1 collection account that is recent from Geico for $79 friggin bucks which shouldn't be on there because I pay them in full every 6 months and canceled but that's another story and dealing with that as we speak.
  • 3 inquiries

Thinned out whats important now.@GZG and @CH-7-Mission-Accomplished nailed it. Dig a little more. Any lates on the open accounts? How low is the util % on each card and how many are reporting a balance? As the guys said. Get the red done.

Message 4 of 10
sexymommee

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate you guys.  I'll work on those suggestions. Wish me luck!

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sexymommee 

I'll add this since you didnt answer my question. Only have 1 card report a balance of less than 8%. Pay the rest to $0. If your carrying high balance on your open cards now. That will tank scores more. Good Luck!

Message 6 of 10
sexymommee

My bad. I read it as you telling me to ask myself those questions lol. I blame my new granbaby that's been keeping me up. 

Open accounts have no lates

Utilization is always 0% on all cards by the time they report (I pay off)

Message 7 of 10
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@sexymommee wrote:

My bad. I read it as you telling me to ask myself those questions lol. I blame my new granbaby that's been keeping me up. 

As @FireMedic1 suggested, try to get one of your cards to report a balance of no more than 8%.  Paying all three to $0 hurts your score - it sounds crazy but that's the game.

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sexymommee wrote:

@sexymommee 

This is why I asked. Your leaving points on the table. Avg 15-20pts when no cards report a balance. Have 1 report $20. Then pay it before the due date. To FICO your being penalized for not using your credit when all accounts report $0.

Message 9 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@sexymommee wrote:

TIA

1. EQ 670
  2. TU 614
  3. EX 652

I have a total of 14 accounts showing on my reports. 

• 1 Public record/Chpt 7 BK Discharged June 2019
  • 1 repo that's actually in the BK above Smiley Frustrated
  • 4 installment accounts closed paid as agreed
  • 3 inquiries

My bk7 was also in 2019, dc in 12/2019

My opinion is 700 is just a number.

I have never gone above 692 on any fico yet i have unsecured cards with, NFCU, PENFED, DISCOVER, CAP 1, and others.

My income is only 39k but my tcl is above 90k.

Granted a higher score may result in lower interest rates but as far as being a damper to getting good cards, nah

Also it would depend on who you burned and some lenders dont like to see that bk7 at all.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.