Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK friendly cards, PayPal master card?

tag
Jmjm2530
Valued Member

BK friendly cards, PayPal master card?

I filed for chapter 7 BK, 07/27/2021. I noticed when I check my credit reports through Experian that it only shows the filing date not the discharge date so I wonder if that's what  these credit card issuers go off of time wise. That would make me six months post BK. I have a cap one platinum with a 2k limit and a mission lane with a 2k limit.

My scores are all in the 640-650 range FICO8,  no other debt besides student loans that are current. Income 82k yearly. Do you think I can get approved for a PayPal MC? I know two cards isn't enough just need advice on a third. Both the cards I have now have zero AFs and are unsecured. Any and all help is appreciated. Only two banks I burned in BK are NFCU and Discover.

Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BK friendly cards, PayPal master card?

I'm not aware of any recent data points as it relates to Synchrony and a recent BK but I do know that they are BK friendly. How far away from a discharge is the mystery.

A question, is there any reason you need a 3rd card? You can start to build some really good history with what you got. You're 5 months post filing which is really recent so you may want to crawl a bit before trying to walk with a BK being so recent. Just my thoughts.
Message 2 of 70
Jmjm2530
Valued Member

I heard you needed three open trade lines or credit cards to report constantly with good payment history, in order to maximize the best results to keep your FICO score rising month after month with little utilization under 9%. The reason I chose the PP one is because I use them often for purchases and they have a 2% back card. I also didn't want to apply so quick and be denied and get a HP on my report. I spoke to a rep at synchrony and he claims they do a triple pull like capital one. I've seen others say they only pull TU. Also the two cards I do have I've had them both four months now. Also my avg age of accounts is about 14.5 years currently probably due to my current student loans. 2 Inquiries as well.

Message 3 of 70
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I would say if you're about over 2 years out of BK discharge, Sync cards are fair game. If you burned them on specific cards though, might take a bit longer to get those back but not impossible. Best of luck to you!

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 70
Jmjm2530
Valued Member

Thanks for that advice it's appreciated. Do you know what credit bureau they pull? I'll definitely wait sometime then before applying to play it safe. Also trying to work on getting my cap one platinum upgraded to a regular quick silver. I've heard the more usage cap one sees and paying it off they'll increase your limit and give you a card upgrade. I usually spend 1500 monthly on the card and keep the utilization to 6-7%.

Message 5 of 70
pip3man
Valued Contributor

If you qualify and haven't already, PLEASE definitely start a membership with PenFed. I got approved for my first card with a $2k limit at 5 months post DC, then the 2nd card for a $2,500 limit at 8 months post DC and most recently, the 3rd card for $10k at 17 months post DC. I think you need at least 3 cards for optimal scoring. Thank me later and I recommend applying for the Power Cash card as your first. Good luck! @Jmjm2530 

Message 6 of 70
Jmjm2530
Valued Member

@pip3man wrote:

If you qualify and haven't already, PLEASE definitely start a membership with PenFed. I got approved for my first card with a $2k limit at 5 months post DC, then the 2nd card for a $2,500 limit at 8 months post DC and most recently, the 3rd card for $10k at 17 months post DC. I think you need at least 3 cards for optimal scoring. Thank me later and I recommend applying for the Power Cash card as your first. Good luck! @Jmjm2530 

I have to be a member correct? The nearest PenFed is two hours north of me. Sounds like you have some great cards with them. You have any other recommendations on post BK cards 6 months and up? 

Message 7 of 70
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'll go with 2 yrs. I got the PP card at 4 yrs. They dont triple pull. Thats Cap1. Depends where you live who they'll pull. PENFED has a 2% card. You need a checking account with 500 in direct deposit or keep 500 in it for the 2% CB. It $25 in savings to join and go from there.

Message 8 of 70
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Jmjm2530,

Welcome to the forum!

You are in a solid place for being 6 months out post bankruptcy. You are doing the right thing so far with having 2 cards and your student loans. Use the Creditwise app from CapitalOne to make sure you student loan payments are posting correctly. I'm a firm believer in Soulmaster's 700 in 24 plan.  I personally would hold off on getting a third card until you are 13 months post bankruptcy discharge. You will improve your changes as you build those trade lines and gain positive payment history.

Synchrony is know to be BK friendly. I got back in with them during the year 1 mark post bankruptcy. I believe that you can get approved for the PayPal Mastercard. It's a solid card and worth it if you use PayPal a lot. I would just have into after you hit year one post bankruptcy. When I applied for mine, Synchrony only pulled TU.  When I got mine, I was either in year 7 or 8 of my rebuild.

At this point of your rebuild, you will want to minimize your HP's. Only apply for what you want to use in rebuild.  I would als focus on increasing your payment history. Personally I would not apply for anything until you have at a year of positive payment history post bankruptcy on your credit cards and student loans.  I would definitely work on making sure  one card reports with a zero balance and the other reports with a balance at 9% or yes. That score will rise, just let accounts age.

Don't worry about burning NFCU and Discover. You will find other institutions that will lend you money.  

Kepping on working on that rebuild.

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 70
Jmjm2530
Valued Member

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Jmjm2530,

Welcome to the forum!

You are in a solid place for being 6 months out post bankruptcy. You are doing the right thing so far with having 2 cards and your student loans. Use the Creditwise app from CapitalOne to make sure you student loan payments are posting correctly. I'm a firm believer in Soulmaster's 700 in 24 plan.  I personally would hold off on getting a third card until you are 13 months post bankruptcy discharge. You will improve your changes as you build those trade lines and gain positive payment history.

Synchrony is know to be BK friendly. I got back in with them during the year 1 mark post bankruptcy. I believe that you can get approved for the PayPal Mastercard. It's a solid card and worth it if you use PayPal a lot. I would just have into after you hit year one post bankruptcy. When I applied for mine, Synchrony only pulled TU.  When I got mine, I was either in year 7 or 8 of my rebuild.

At this point of your rebuild, you will want to minimize your HP's. Only apply for what you want to use in rebuild.  I would als focus on increasing your payment history. Personally I would not apply for anything until you have at a year of positive payment history post bankruptcy on your credit cards and student loans.  I would definitely work on making sure  one card reports with a zero balance and the other reports with a balance at 9% or yes. That score will rise, just let accounts age.

Don't worry about burning NFCU and Discover. You will find other institutions that will lend you money.  

Kepping on working on that rebuild.

Guyatthebeach

I appreciate that advice. Helps alot. Do you suggest a self credit builder loan as well or something or just keep doing what I am doing with both of these cards? I'll wait til the one year mark and apply for the PP Mastercard. My DC date doesn't show up on any reports only my initial file date so I'll base it off that.

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.