Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK7 Journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK7 Journey

So I needed $2K for a BK attorney which I didn’t have so I got creative. I closed all of my secured cards and got my deposits back totaling $700 and swallowed my pride and asked a close family member for the rest. To my surprise they said yes. They had actually filed themselves before so they fully understood. So now I just need to narrow down which 1 of the 7 lawyers to go with to file my BK7.

Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK7 Journey

Ahhh I'm so proud of you for approaching a loved one for help, and happy you received it. I was surprised that the few people I told about my filing had either filed themselves or wish they had the courage to do it themselves. There is so much unnecessary shame surrounding bankruptcy and it shouldn't be that way. 

Good job making a choice you feel solid about and getting it rolling! 

Message 2 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today has been another hectic day in the search for the right lawyer. I’m being so picky because for one this is my life in their hands and two because it’s $2K I’ll be handing over. I’ve narrowed it down to 4 lawyers now and I’m just waiting on a call back from one of them to see if they would even take my case. Hopefully I’ll have a decision by end of day.

Message 3 of 82
donkort
Valued Contributor

I know it's a difficult decision.  I would pick the lawyer who is able to save as much of your assets as possible, yet make it legally a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  I feel like reading up what's "exempt" in bankruptcies might be beneficial.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 4 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@donkort wrote:

I know it's a difficult decision.  I would pick the lawyer who is able to save as much of your assets as possible, yet make it legally a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  I feel like reading up what's "exempt" in bankruptcies might be beneficial.

Well the good thing I have “Zero Assets”. So should I just focus on the cheapest lawyer?

Message 5 of 82
donkort
Valued Contributor

That's a good question.  I would pick the lawyer you feel best about. 

If I were in your situation, I might pick the cheapest----but that actually might not be the best idea.  You want a lawyer who you feel would be on your side.

Message 6 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I finally picked an attorney. This guy has been great and I’m not even his client yet. He has great reviews online and over 20 years of experience. He even gave me a veterans discount. I will be retaining him on Tuesday.

Message 7 of 82
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

I got lucky. The only lawyer I looked at was it. It may seem like a lot, but when you can save spending a ton of money. I spent $2k as well for mine. In the end, it wiped out like $110k of debt for me. Cheapest isn't always the best. Usually you get what you pay for. If the lawyer gives you a warm feeling and his/her background can back it up. Time to move forward. Lets get it done. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 8 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everybody...I was informed today that before my case is filed Inhave to take an online course geez. My lawyer said that’s a part of the process and that the course is really easy.

Message 9 of 82
donkort
Valued Contributor

Pain in the butt---but that seems to be part of the process.

What's really a pain in the butt, apparently, is the paperwork.

Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.