cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK7 Rebuild story and questions for the group!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK7 Rebuild story and questions for the group!

Hello all, I wanted to say that I'm so thankful for all of the forums here. I'll be filing my BK7 next month and of course it will take approx 90 days to discharge. I wanted to open a forum and update everyone on my rebuilding process as it goes along. This way, I hope to encourage others and keep track of my success. I'll be discharging about 21k of debt, and most is misc. I only have about 1.5k in credit card debt that are CO's. I'm going to discharge credit one, cap one, discovery, and first premier. I hope this doesn't hinder me from getting the easy cards after discharge. I'm sad to say I'm only 23, and i wish I would've done things the right way the first time, I guess you live and you learn. My question for the group is, will I get offers as soon as my BK is filed? Should I take any of the offers before discharge? Any advice would help! After discharge I'll still have my student loans on my report and they are in good standings. I hope this gives me just a little boost to secure some unsecured cards. Thanks! TU(497) EXP (500) - 05/17
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK7 Rebuild story and questions for the group!

Welcome to MyFico,

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all, I wanted to say that I'm so thankful for all of the forums here. I'll be filing my BK7 next month and of course it will take approx 90 days to discharge. I wanted to open a forum and update everyone on my rebuilding process as it goes along. This way, I hope to encourage others and keep track of my success. I'll be discharging about 21k of debt, and most is misc. I only have about 1.5k in credit card debt that are CO's. I'm going to discharge credit one, cap one, discovery, and first premier. I hope this doesn't hinder me from getting the easy cards after discharge. I'm sad to say I'm only 23, and i wish I would've done things the right way the first time, I guess you live and you learn. My question for the group is, will I get offers as soon as my BK is filed? Should I take any of the offers before discharge? Any advice would help! After discharge I'll still have my student loans on my report and they are in good standings. I hope this gives me just a little boost to secure some unsecured cards. Thanks! TU(497) EXP (500) - 05/17

Q. Should I take any of the offers before discharge?

A. NO ! ! ! !

From "my" personal experience, and from reading on this site, NO, you can't apply for new credit lines.

* now having said that, there are some people who have posted that they have permission from their Trustee to do this.

Myself, I clearly don't understand that, but I would clearly have that in writing signed by both my attorney &  the Trustee on the Trustee's letterhead before I myself would even consider using that as a permission slip to take any action.

Best Wishes!!!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. Noted, I will wait for the discharge to apply for anything. Filing a BK is an overload of information. Another question I have for the group is, will it be difficult to get an auto loan after discharge? I'll be discharging a judgement from a repo for 10k with a CU. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Noted, I will wait for the discharge to apply for anything. Filing a BK is an overload of information. Another question I have for the group is, will it be difficult to get an auto loan after discharge? I'll be discharging a judgement from a repo for 10k with a CU. 

Someone with firsthand experience can probably answer this question better than me.  However, my cousin's BK was discharged on Nov 23rd and she purchased a new car on Nov 26th.  Her interest rate is at 14% right now but she's going to refi in Aug.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mlitty, 

Don't feel bad; I am 22 and will be discharging $20k+ in debt in the very near future. Yes, you live and you learn. Bankruptcy is actually better for you than you would think (in fact a lot of times, your credit score increases after BK7 since your utilization goes from 100%+ to )%). Most likely, you won't get offers right after you file for BK7, but you will get offers after discharge. Never, ever, ever apply for any pre-approved credit offers before discharge, ever! Always, always, always wait until the following 2 things happen before you apply for any credit when dealing with a bakruptcy:

1. You have received all discharge paperwork from the court, and

2. Your credit reports are updated to reflect the accounts that are discharged in bankruptcy (I'll expand on this in a separate post). 

Otherwise, you'll have a bunch of inquiries on your CR for no reason. 

As far as the "easy" cards, as a general rule, you would want to avoid any creditors that you included in bankruptcy (in your case, Credit One, Capital One, Discovery, and First Premier). 

Typically, after BK, your best bet is to get a secured credit card, which is a CC where you provide cash equal to or below the credit line amount you are issued. I would wait about 6-8 months after making on-time payments on the secured card before applying for any unsecured cards. Also, your best bet is to find a credit union in your area (or a national one) to get the secured card from. With a lot of CUs, after a certain amount of months (your best bet is to talk to a loan officer/consultant at the CU you are looking to gain membership with), the secured card will "graduate" into an unsecured card, and your initial deposit may be refunded. Getting a secured card with a CU does two things: 1) helps your credit, and 2) gives the CU assurance that you are a "good" risk for other credit products, and generally, CUs are quite lenient if you have a BK reporting, as long as you have maintained a good payment history after BK, especially with that CU itself. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expansion on Credit Reporting after BK: 

After you receive your discharge paperwork, and before you apply for any credit product after BK, you need to make sure that your credit reports are accurate. 

Follow these steps to ensure your CRs are accurate:

1. About 14-21 days after you get your discharge paperwork, do to annualcreditreport.com* and obtain a copy of your credit reports from Equifax (EQ), Experian (EX), and TransUnion (TU).

2. Run through your reports with a red pen and mark any accounts that are not listed as "Included in Bankruptcy" and have a $0 balance.

2a. For collection accounts associated with debts discharged in bankruptcy, the collection entry should be listed as "Closed" and "Included in Bankruptcy". if it is listed as open and/or with a balance and is not listed as IIB, mark this account too.

3. Write a letter to each of the credit bureaus (send these letters via Certified Mail, Return Reciept Requested -- see below) stating that the accounts are being reported inaccurately, as they are IIB. You can do one account per letter, or you can make a table and list all of the accounts (have a column for account name, and account number) in one letter. You can attach your BK D/C paperwork if you want. 

4. Wait for the response from each of the credit bureaus. It is possible that some tradelines and/or collections are completely removed. Others may stick, but all that matters is that they are reporting as IIB with a $0 balance. They should send you back your credit report and the results of your dispute. If the accounts are not listed they way they should be, then dispute only the incorrectly reporting accounts again.

4a. If an account was charged off before you filed for bankruptcy, that notation will stick. In this case, the account should show IIB and reflect a $0 balance in addition to the C/O status.

5. If you have to dispute a second time and the CBs don't update porperly, find a FCRA attorney in your area and work with them to get the information corrected.  

*You are entitled to a free credit report from EQ, EX, and TU once every 365 days by federal law (specifically, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, or FCRA). More info can be found here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports. If you have pulled any of your CRs from annualcreditreport.com wihtin the last 365 days, you may need to pay a fee for each report. If you're unsure if you have pulled your CRs from this site, just follow the process on the site, and it will let you know if you have pulled them within the last 365 days, and the date on which you'll be eligible to obtain them for free again. 

Here are the addresses to each of the CBs:

TransUnion:

TransUnion, LLC
Consumer Dispute Center

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19016

Note: When you go to the post office, you might be told that the zip code is Crum Lynne, PA. If they say that, then tell them that it's okay. The letter will get to them. :-)

Equifax:

Equifax

P.O. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian:

Experian

P.O. Box 4500

Allen, TX 75013

Certified Mail, Return Return Requested (CMRRR):

CMRRR can only be done at a Post Office of the USPS. When you go to the P/O, there will be an area with green cards, boxes, etc. For each letter you send, you will need to take a "Certified Mail" slip and put the addressee on it where it says to, and you also want a green card that says "Return Receipt" on it. The Return Reciept is a green card that you stick onto the letter you send that requires the recipient to sign when they receive the letter, and then that green card is sent back to you (i.e. proof that the letter was received). On the back of that green card, it will ask you to put your address on it so you can receive the card after it's signed for. Once you've filled the slip and card out, get in line, and the postal worker will attach them on the envelope for you. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m so sorry for the late reply. I keep up with the boards but, rarely post and haven’t logged in. Thank you for this information. I have yet to file but plan to in the next couple months. I’m going the attorney route vs Pro Se and I’m still working on having the $1,400 upfront that they want. I appreciate you greatly!

I’ll update when things start moving.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a delayed file also (had to switch attorneys mid-stream, no fault of either party) and it felt like torture. 

People who get permission from trustee to get cards prior to discharge are all BK13'ers, that I've seen. BK7, you are best to wait until you are discharged. It is such a short period compared to 13 (a few months compared to five years) that you should be able to manage in that time period.

My FICOs were in the high 400s-low 500s before I filed, now they are low-high 500s just past discharge and I haven't even done anything yet! It gets better. Look forward to seeing your work and your updates.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.