Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Item on Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad Item on Credit Report

In May 2000, I opened at Capitol One credit card.  Shortly after, I went over the limit and the fees soared about $500 over the limit. 
In 6/2002, I filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy and I included Capitol One on my list of debts.  They never filed a claim to get their money.  My bankruptcy case was discharged in 2/2007. 
I recently checked my credit report and Capitol One states that the charge was included in Chapter 13 and the account in closed, but yet, they still state I owe a balance and I feel this is holding me back from rebuilding my credit.
Here is what the information shows:
Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Current Status: WAGE EARNER PLAN 
 Account Owner: Individual Account. 
High Credit: $825 Type of Account N/A Credit Limit: $200 Term Duration:   Terms Frequency: Monthly (due every month)  Date Opened: 05/2000   Balance: $814 Date Reported: 01/2008  Amount Past Due: $814 Date of Last Payment: 07/2001  Actual Payment Amount: $0 Scheduled Payment Amount: $0 Date of Last Activity: N/A Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 05/2005  Months Reviewed: 92 Creditor Classification:   Activity Description: Closed Charge Off Amount: $0 Deferred Payment Start Date:   Balloon Payment Amount: $0 Balloon Payment Date:   Date Closed:   Type of Loan: Credit Card  Comments:

Account involved in chapter 13 debt adj,
Account closed by credit grantor  

How can I fix this problem?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Bad Item on Credit Report

Capital One is doing the same thing to me but I am not discharged yet.  I have disputed it as IIB but it came back as included in wage earner plan, with the past due balance still owing.  I was going to go after them once I am discharged. I would dispute and then if that doesn't work, I would send cap 1 a letter citing the FCRA sections that state that it is a violation of the auto stay to not be reporting it correctly as zero balance.  It looks like they could /still try or are trying to collect on a debt.  A couple of people in the BK forum I frequent have had the trustee from the BK court cite some of the cc companies for contempt of court for failing to report it correctly.  But I don't live in an area where the trustee's are that willing to go after the cc company for the consumer.   So start with the dispute and then maybe some one else will chime in on their experience.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.