cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balances not dropping after bankruptcy discharge (ch 13)

tag
music2hisears
Contributor

Balances not dropping after bankruptcy discharge (ch 13)

I filed chapter 13 over 4 years ago and was able to emerge 3 months early due to doing what I needed to fulfill my obligations and pay as agreed to the terms of bankruptcy. However, over a year after the discharge, I show two store credit cards (HH Gregg and Lowes) still show balances (only on Equifax). The descriptions due show they were part of the filing and the statuses show wage earner plan. So, why don't they show $0? And, how do I get that changed?

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: EQ 672 TU 682 EX 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balances not dropping after bankruptcy discharge (ch 13)

Have you filed a dispute directly with Equifax? And, are you absolutely sure that the debts are/were on your BK filing (you should have a copy of it available)? Equifax will know that if you can demostrate the debts were IIB, and successfully discharged, they MUST show $0 balances. I doubt they would even bother to contact the creditor, but would just edit them. It's the law/rule for credit reporting of such items.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the exact problem. I filed a dispute with Eq. and received no results. I waited 6 months and filed another dispute this time sending them a copy of the discharge. The entire account was removed immediately!!!!
Message 3 of 6
music2hisears
Contributor

How do I get a copy of my discharge papers? I actually never received them and my bankruptcy has been discharged for over a year now. It does show that way on my credit report.

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: EQ 672 TU 682 EX 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to dispute some accounts that reported like this without sending in copies of my discharge papers.  While you're waiting to get copies of your papers, you can dispute the the CRA with a statement something like:  "Balance is 0, included in BK".  Mine updated properly - YMMV.

Message 5 of 6
credit911
Contributor

To get a copy of your bankruptcy paperwork I would contact the lawyer who handled your case. It is good to hold on to all of that paperwork for things such as this.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.