Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Discharge and Student Loans Effect on Credit Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy Discharge and Student Loans Effect on Credit Scores

Hello everyone, 

I finally signed up, have been stalking the message boards and learning from you all. Thank you all for all the information. 

I filed bankruptcy on August 2017, discharge due on November 2017. Right after my 341 meeting my student loans were removed from my credit reports on Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. I know they are not going to discharged and will be put back on my reports after a while. I just wanted to know how your scores were affected by this action. My pre file score was 495, 2 months in is now TU 593 EQ 606.

Have your scores gone up or down after the student loans get thrown back on your reports???

Thank you in advance for your replies. 

3 REPLIES 3
firegrl607
Established Member

Re: Bankruptcy Discharge and Student Loans Effect on Credit Scores

All of my scores went up as soon as I made my first payment post discharge. One went up 55 points. The other didn't increase as much. 20-some points.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! @firegrl607 thanks for replying. 🙂 I’m exciting for my post-bankruptcy life to begin.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are only getting credit scores from Credit Karma or Credit Sesame you're not seeing useful scores as those sites only provide an educational or entertainment style score, not a score a reputable creditor would use for lending purposes.

I'd suggest creditscorecard.com which is a free monthly FICO08 Experian score.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.