Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

The other thread was locked due to it being so old. It probably had some out of date info anyway Smiley Happy Thought I would start a new one since it seemed to help a lot. All of these are YMMV and not a guarantee

Last edited 06/29/2018 to add info on Capital One, NFCU and Chase

- AMEX:           Recently we have come to the conclusion that 5 years post file date is the absolute earliest

- BofA:             The little info we have shows they will approve around 4 years post d/c if not IIBK. We have now seen some approvals around 3 years post d/c. As always YMMV

- Barclay:         They like to see about 6-12 months of some revolving history before approving. If denied make sure to recon!!!! Also YMMV

- BCU:              Will approve a secured card fresh out of BK

- Chase:           Based off the minimal data we have, 2.5 years post d/c seems to be about the earliest. Chase auto declines w/ BK so will require recon and good rebuild. Not so friendly if they were burned. Added 6/29/18 New stories of Chase not approving w/ BK on record, will report back with findings.

- Capital One:  Very friendly and will approve as soon as the day you are discharged. YMMV but they also seem to let you back in fairly quick after burning them. When IIB there is some info that you may not be able to get back in until 1 year post (or one year post CO date)

- Credit One:    Very friendly, just watch all the fee's

- Comenity:      Sometimes will be the first to approve via SCT. Visa/MC products will be harder to get from them until about 1 year post d/c

- Citi:                Will not consider until 7 years post d/c, Home Depot seems to be a different story. We have now seen an approval on the Costco Visa as early as 3 years 9 months post d/c (Citi was not IIB)

- DCU:              Unsecured card requires 2 years post d/c, minimum 620 EQ, revolving history for them to review

- Discover:       YMMV big time here. A year post d/c seems like an ok ish time to try. Some have been approved earlier and some have been denied later. Recently it seems more people are approved quicker after BK if they didnt IIB Discover

- Fingerhut:     Very friendly and will often be the first to approve fresh out of BK

- Merrick          Very friendly to recent BK's. They also like to send pre-approvals to people who have a recent BK.

- NFCU:            Updated 6/29/18 Looks like NFCU has changed quite a bit unfortunately.. They like you to be one year post BK before approving an unsecured card. There have been a couple here and there who get in earlier. It does seem that the secured product is starting to graduate much quicker than before, multiple posts around the 6 month mark. May be an easier route to an unsecured product.

- NASA FCU:    They like you to be 2 years post BK with rebuilding on revolving TL's

- PenFed:         Seems they want some revolving history to look over and at least a 620. If denied make sure to take the survey and explain your dissatisfaction (this has worked as a recon for MANY.)

- Synchrony:    Another YMMV. Sometimes as early as 3 months post d/c Others have luck around 1 year post d/c

Backdoor numbers thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

I know I have missed a bunch so help me out everyone!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1 of 1,427
1,426 REPLIES 1,426
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

CitiBank also seems to auto-decline with a BK... or at least 3 years out in my experience.  Only reason listed for decline, at least.

Message 2 of 1,427
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

- Chase:           Based off the minimal data we have, 3 years post d/c seems to be about the earliest. Chase auto declines w/ BK so will require recon and good rebuild

No dice with Citi and Chase for me. 

Despite my solid profile and $5-$10k CC experience I have been declined by both citing the BR.  I was 71 months post filing and 22 months post discharge when I applied for both in March 2015.  I was also denied on recon. I've given up until everything falls off my reports in the coming months.

AmEx denied 55 months post filing 6 months post discharge... approved $5k revolver 68 months post filing 19 months post discharge.

Same with Discover.

None of the above (Citi, Chase, AmEx, Discover) were IIB.

Citi and Chase seem to play hardball longer... probably the 36 months post discharge that you mentioned.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 3 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

Hmmm, Citi I have no info on really. I never looked as I heard they are very conservative. I was scared to add Discover to my list as they are all over the map! Smiley Very Happy

edit: Does everyone want me to try and keep the OP updated, or just keep it as a running thread like the last one?

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 1,427
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Updating the OP would be good... with a date of last update.  Smiley Wink

NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Message 5 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Now you're just asking for a lot! hahaha

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 6 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

^^ This ^^

I should add that my Chase & Citibank declines were right at 36 months post-discharge (to the date), with optimized scores (had just closed on a mortgage that wasn't reporting yet).

Edit for request below: I didn't have any CCs in my BK filing. My husband had BoA and Synchrony, neither of whom we've applied with since (I detest BoA and Synchrony just hasn't come up).

Message 7 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be an inconvenience to include in the running list whether or not they were IIB? hopefully I worded that correctly, lol. I have several companies that are included in my filing and I'm wondering who I may have luck with in the future.
Message 8 of 1,427
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Now you're just asking for a lot! hahaha

Would be a lot easier to see the OP for all the updates rather than having to scroll through 10+ pages looking for the info. 

But you knew that... Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Would it be an inconvenience to include in the running list whether or not they were IIB? hopefully I worded that correctly, lol. I have several companies that are included in my filing and I'm wondering who I may have luck with in the future.

I can absolutely try! I don't have any experience with it though. If we can come to a conclusion of a time period the lender likes, I can add it Smiley Happy So far it seems to be a YMMV thing if the lender was IIBK

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 10 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.